1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Data Usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rolo94, Apr 12, 2011.

1. rolo94

rolo94 Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    Hi I am on the hunt for a new phone and I like the look of the Desire HD. I have read several different threads on a few forums, and it seems that the phone tends to use a lot of data. I am looking at a couple of contracts; one with unlimited data and another with 1 Gb. The difference in cost of the two contracts is 190 quid. I am new to Android phones so I am not sure if I'd over-run a gig of data. I'd go on facebook twitter etc. , browse the web, stream videos and music and send/receive the odd email. I don't think this would over run a gig but reading the other posts has made me think that it may not be enough. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    It doesn't make any difference what phone you buy. The amount of data a phone uses is based on the user. Streaming videos and music is the killer when it comes to usage.

3. rolo94

rolo94 Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    thanks.. It was more whether I'd over-run the allowance of 1GB doing these things? I

4. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    If i was only using mobile data i would easiliy use over 1gb. I just looked at my wifi usage and in 15 days i have used 1.735 gb. I have a 1gb flex plan and i try to do most of the heavy stuff like downloading apps with wifi. I am in canada and my carrier sadly does not have an unlimited data plan.

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    If you have wifi at home, you should be fine. If you're going mental with youtube etc over 3G, you might run into a problem.

Most I've ever used is 360MB and that was when they took the wireless router away at work. Using sensibly whilst out and about, and my homes wireless network, I use about 150MB on average.

You get apps such as Netcounter or 3G Watchdog which will monitor traffic alerting you whenever you approach your data limit.

6. dan_hin

dan_hin Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    multimedia designer
    IMO go for an unlimited data plan. There's nothing more annoying than being limited while you're out and about. If you have autosync on you'll chew through 50mb a day, easy - and all that does is keep you up-to-date.

I'm on the Three UK 1 plan (unlimited data, bags of calls + texts) for