• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data usages on Verizon's website makes no sense

Gatman

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand what I'm seeing on Verizon's website for data usage.

First, a pinch of background. My wife and I were Alltel customers that ended up on V when they purchased Alltel. We are still on our old Alltel plan for voice & text, but both have upgraded to smartphones and added data. I'm grandfathered with unlimited data, while she got hers later and has the 2gb limit. I have a Droid RAZR Maxx, and she had been using an LG Vortex (total trash, btw) up until last month when I switched her over to my old HTC Incredible (should have done that a long time ago). Her line is the primary line and mine is the second line.

So I log in this morning to review our data usage and see what we've been using. Mine says (in MBs):

May - 577.17
Jun - 617.7
July - 387.33
Aug - 169.73
Sep - 287.9
Oct - 496.5

Her's says:

May - 1,024.0
Jun - 1,024.0
Jul - 1,024.0
Aug - 1,024.0
Sep- 1,024.0
Oct - 1,024.0

Now how could that be possible? My unlimited line has what appears to be actual data usage - hers looks like it's just been rounded up to 1gb. I looked at her phone, and it doesn't have even close to 1gb for this month. That's some serious rounding up if that's what they're doing.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Gary

rounding up is exactly what it does....... it goes to the full 1024 = 1GB because thats the increments for payment

if you are below 1GB it will say 1GB.... if you are below 2GB it will say 2GB or 2048............ if you go over your alloted 2GB by even a single MB..... if you have 2049..... you will be charged for an additional 1GB = 1024 and it will then say 3072 or 3GB

Upvote 0
Nice of them to tell me my exact usage on an unlimited line, but round to a useless number on the limited one.

Is there any way to see exact usage on my wife's line besides checking the phone? I'm trying to get a handle on our combined usage before I make any decisions about changing plans.

Thanks,

Gary

Upvote 0
Once it hits the bill it's rounded up. I have one line that has 2GB so have to check that online before the bill cycle closes. If you log into your account and select usage on her line it will show actual useage, so if you cycle ends on the 12th check it on the 11th. It will be a bit off but darn close.
That's the only way I've figured out how to get an idea of what is really being used on that line. It's not convenient but it's better than nothing I guess.

Reactions: Gatman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones