• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Date resetting

tibi

Lurker
Nov 25, 2009
Hi all, I've searched for an answer to this problem, but haven't found anything either at this forum or elsewhere on the internets. I really hope someone can help me as my problem is VERY annoying.

At least once a day, the date and time on my phone resets. It often resets back to the year 1967, although once it reset to just the day previous. This problem is really messing with the usability of my phone. I don't get any text or email alerts when the date is wrong, and you can imagine what happens to the ebay alerts from one of my apps. Most of the time, I don't even notice that the date is wrong until someone calls and whines about why I haven't responded to their texts.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? And why does my phone even have an awareness about the year 1967? This problem has lead to several uber geeky discussions with my husband about time travel (which then lead to an even geekier conversation about What Would Spock Do?), which is fun, but I really need my phone to behave like it's 2009!

just a shot in the dark here.. have you performed a power cycle / battery pull when the phone was in airplane mode? i had a similar situation when doing a power cycle while in airplane mode... once i took my phone out of airplane mode and recieved a good cell signal, the date corrected itself.

hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never had to put my phone in airplane mode. But, that does remind me that the first time I noticed it happening was soon after I had to do a forced reboot while inside a store that I know has a dead zone. However, the problem did not fix itself when I got to an area with signal.

Yesterday, for instance, the date was correct in the morning. I was in my kitchen all day long, where I get great signal. I didn't reset the phone at all yesterday. By this morning, the date was wrong again. I had to reset the date manually. It's as if it's not getting any clues about the date/time from the network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones