• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dead Phone Data Recovery

Madrugada

Lurker
Jul 31, 2011
So, the one thing I was worried about when deciding to buy the M7 has come to bite me; the lack of removable MicroSD.

My phone died suddenly and completely last night. Without any warning (phone was working great) and any hacking (was just in the middle of adding a contact) and reasonable battery left (20%), the device went black. After assuming it was just a software crash, I hit the power button but it did not reboot. Have connected it to outlet power and have tried various combinations of the power/volume buttons, but it is completely dead. It does not even draw power from the outlet when connected. Only 4 months old.

Contacted Google and they are shipping a replacement.

My question is; is there any way for a qualified technician to get data off the dead device? Is there any way to open the device and access the flash memory?

Don't think I'll be buying a device without a removable flash card again.

Not to my knowledge unfortunately.

Most of the stuff on the board is soldered on and any attempt to remove would either break it completely, or totally void your warranty. I know Google are sending you another, but if you send your current one back and it looks as though you've tampered with the innards, Google/HTC might try to claim that's what borked it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones