• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dear Phone Makers,

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
You want me to have a reason to buy? Do this. Not only would you corner a usability market, and render a lot of these moronic "flagship(s)" obsolete, but it would revive an industry for extended battery upgrades, therefore making it even more valu(abl)e.

Yes, I use the headphone jack, daily.
Yes, I prefer to store docs/pics/data on an SD card where it's easier to deal with or shuffle stuff around.
And as long as I've been alive, no sealed battery phone ever has even been remotely satisfactory, because in practice, none of them ever have any real usable battery life. Don't @ me on this.

If it were possible to just retrofit a suitable 5G radio onto my v20 I think I would have already done that. Because I would sooner rather ditch having a phone and go back to a landline than deal with these trash tier phones at four-digit prices. That's how effing done I am of sealed battery phones being the accepted norm now. I'm tired of being made to suffer for the stupidity of others.

/rant

You want me to have a reason to buy? Do this. Not only would you corner a usability market, and render a lot of these moronic "flagship(s)" obsolete, but it would revive an industry for extended battery upgrades, therefore making it even more valu(abl)e.

Yes, I prefer to store docs/pics/data on an SD card where it's easier to deal with or shuffle stuff around.
And as long as I've been alive, no sealed battery phone ever has even been remotely satisfactory, because in practice, none of them ever have any real usable battery life. Don't @ me on this.

If it were possible to just retrofit a suitable 5G radio onto my v20 I think I would have already done that. Because I would sooner rather ditch having a phone and go back to a landline than deal with these trash tier phones at four-digit prices. That's how effing done I am of sealed battery phones being the accepted norm now. I'm tired of being made to suffer for the stupidity of others.

/rant

Unfortunately, your telephone is no longer yours, Carriers soon, and most already have, demanded that telephones connected to their networks be spy devices for their overlords. AT&T rendered my one plus and pine phone useless in one fell swoop, sent me out of the blue a refurbished pos g9+ and thought they were doing me a favor. I despise this thing, only an a@@hole would actually embrace this. CB radios.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, your telephone is no longer yours, Carriers soon, and most already have, demanded that telephones connected to their networks be spy devices for their overlords. AT&T rendered my one plus and pine phone useless in one fell swoop, sent me out of the blue a refurbished pos g9+ and thought they were doing me a favor. I despise this thing, only an a@@hole would actually embrace this. CB radios.

So far, I have been mostly satisfied with my unlocked Moto e for $120.

The Google junk and other minor nagware (like the damn 'Wi-Fi Manager', that only serves to turn off Wi-Fi if Google Play Services is not active) was mostly easy to disable/remove, and the rest is waiting for dispersal via ADB.

Upvote 0

/rant

I totally agree.
But I must say that so far the first sealed battery device that I have owned has been great for battery life.

Of course, once it craps out, I will find a way to crack the SOB open to test the 'non-replaceable battery' theory.

Upvote 0
I totally agree.
But I must say that so far the first sealed battery device that I have owned has been great for battery life.

Of course, once it craps out, I will find a way to crack the SOB open to test the 'non-replaceable battery' theory.
That won't really help me, if it can't even make it through a day at work when it's new, let alone two or more years old when nobody can source the OEM replacement anymore.

At least as of last week I was able to buy another, new, extended battery for my v20.

Even though I know the xcover pro exists, for a newer phone with a removable battery, nobody wants to make an extended capacity battery for it. So its usability is limited in that regard. And yeah, after the Note 7, I'll never trust a Samsung battery; period, end of.

Upvote 0
That won't really help me, if it can't even make it through a day at work when it's new, let alone two or more years old when nobody can source the OEM replacement anymore.

At least as of last week I was able to buy another, new, extended battery for my v20.

Even though I know the xcover pro exists, for a newer phone with a removable battery, nobody wants to make an extended capacity battery for it. So its usability is limited in that regard. And yeah, after the Note 7, I'll never trust a Samsung battery; period, end of.

I wouldn't trust a Samsung battery either.

The 'unreplaceable' battery that I replaced in a ZTE turned out to be a POS Samsung- and wouldn't you know it... it bulged out so far that it prevented proper contact and so the device wouldnt work.

The stupid thing was punctured slightly in my caveman (but successful) attempts to remove the pregnant thing from the device- and after releasing noxious fumes became extremely hot and shot some sparks.

In my opinion, Samsung should start making batteries for terrorists.

Upvote 0
I have had CBs in almost every car I ever owned.

Currently I am not on air much, but with my base I can occasionally reach Texas, and have gotten out to California and Florida once each.

When the skip really rolls in I can consistantly talk to Kentuckey, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and New York.

On a quiet night I get out about 30 miles locally.

Not too bad considering my feedpoint is only 20 ft above ground.

The best system I put in a car can do about the same locally, but is not good for skip.
Unfortunately, that car is not running right now.

Upvote 0
I have had CBs in almost every car I ever owned.

Currently I am not on air much, but with my base I can occasionally reach Texas, and have gotten out to California and Florida once each.

When the skip really rolls in I can consistantly talk to Kentuckey, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and New York.

On a quiet night I get out about 30 miles locally.

Not too bad considering my feedpoint is only 20 ft above ground.

The best system I put in a car can do about the same locally, but is not good for skip.
Unfortunately, that car is not running right now.

No longer have a base, but I can plug the hand held into the old antenna. The mountainous region sort of inhibits the radio, best I can do in a normal day is about eight or ten miles, on a good night, I can get a good skip down the coast, but anything east of the (cascade) mountains is very rare.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
@Trom

I am actually using a mobile for a base.
I use an old Cobra 77x that I installed a power supply from an old camcorder on top of it.

It puts out about 19w at full modulation, and still only deadkeys at 4.25w.

I also have an old handheld, a 40 channel that puts out 5w.
No way that thing was safe to hold up to your head and use, lol.

I have an external mic for it, and hook it to other antennas like you do.

I built a full size (18 foot) center feed halfwave dipole and can talk 13 miles even if it is on the ground (bottom tip is about a foot from touching ground).

This is far from ideal, as that antenna would need to be about 36 feet above ground at the feedpoint for best results (0° take off angle).

Of course, being center feed makes this basically impossible.

But even on the ground, the feedpoint is still 9 feet up and it is super easy to tune, as I mounted a telescoping radio antenna onto the bottom tip.

I actually use television coax (RG-6QS, for satellite TV) for this and my base- at the lengths that I need it has less loss than if I used the 'proper' cable.
I can get 50 foot lengths with ends attached for $6 or so.
There is some math involved to find the right length of coax to offset the difference in resistance, but it seems to be worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones