• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Default permissions are hidden on the google play app

blaaaa

Sep 28, 2012
With the Jelly Bean update came a new permission "read external storage"

In order to allow developers to check how this permission will work a Default permission has been added to many apps (I think its been added to all apps - games included)

• test access to protected storage test access to protected storage
    Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be available on future devices. Allows the app to test a permission for the SD card that will be available on future devices.
When I take a look at an app on my desktop computer I will see under Permissions at the end of the list the Default permissions for the app.
When I will look at the same permission with the google play app on my tablet I will not see the Default section.

Another thing I noticed is that you won't see the Default section when looking on the app through the built in Task Manger. (most of my games are not up to date so don't have this default permission. I downloaded one game to check it with "clouds and sheep" and the default section wasn't showing on the Task Manger)

I checked a few browser apps to validate my claims here is the list

Dolphin Browser
Opera Mobile
Firefox for Android
UC Browser
Maxthon Android Web Browser
Skyfire Web Browser 4.0
Boat Browser

p.s. I first wrote about this hidden section in a post about Glu Mobile. I thought its a thing only they do but now it seems that's its something related to the android OS.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones