• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleted cw Cache _cannot reboot

Arc_Eus

Mar 24, 2016
Hi guys, newbie, I posted this also in "rooting " sorry for the double post ,

Hey guys , I have an -htc-one-m8, I recently unlocked it s-off using sunshine, everything has been running fine until,
I accidently deleted the cache cw in one of the tools menu's, I thought of it ass just an app cache etc ,didnt relize it would mess me up, anyway my phone will not boot passed the red verizon screen, I have tried recovery, and every other reboot ,still same thing, I let my battery go completely dead for a hard reset, still same, I would very much appreciate please !! ,

I believe I deleted the cw cache in developer options , cannot reboot past red verizon screen , not sure what to do , help please, thank you

Thnx Arc_Eus,

Hey @Arc_Eus--sorry to hear of this :(.

I could move your thread over to the HTC One M8 root area--that's probably the area where you'll get the best views and hopefully responses:

Lemme know!

edit: as I'm about to turn in for the evening, I'm going to go-ahead and move this thread to the root area indicated. There'll still be a redirect so folks here in the AQ area can still see your thread. I'll check back in the morning to see if there's anything else you need. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, you are s-off which is a very good thing seeing as you have a Verizon variant. Sure we can fix this, just a few questions first to understand what happened. I'm not sure what exactly you mean when you say you deleted the "cw cache in one of the tools menu's" - if you can provide a bit more on what happened it would help?

Did you also get the bootloader unlocked and TWRP custom recovery flashed? If yes, what version of TWRP do you have installed and do you have a TWRP nandroid backup you can just restore?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply, I believe that I wiped cwm partition in clockworkmod , but I am not positive ,I did get the bootloader unlocked , I did not flash twrp recovery , some where there was wipe cache from partition and then I couldn't reboot, I know this isn't much help to inform you but I am really not sure exactly what I did

Upvote 0
Do you have stuff on internal storage you want to try and keep intact? Been trying to find a set of stock TWRP backups on XDA for Verizon but not been too successful so far. Have found plenty of RUUs and firmware though, so there must be something. If you had a non US model we would be sorted by now [emoji1] its just finding the right thread (I have all the useful threads for the international M8 bookmarked).

Upvote 0
Meantime it will be useful to know what firmware version you are on at the moment anyway.

Do you have a Win PC/laptop with the adb/fastboot tools installed? You can get it here if not:

ADB Guide (updated 2014/11/11)

along with instructions to install. You don't need to worry about the drivers, just the adb and fastboot tools in the mini-SDK zip.

Reboot phone to bootloader and plug in to PC (so you see FASTBOOT USB on bootloader screen). Open a command prompt window in the adb/fastboot folder on your PC - if in Explorer hold shift + right click, and pick "Open command window here" from context menu.

Then type:

fastboot devices (this is to check fastboot connects to phone ok, it should return the phone serial number)

If it does, then type:

fastboot getvar all

and post the info the command returns but scrub out your IMEI number and serial number first before posting.

Upvote 0
Meantime it will be useful to know what firmware version you are on at the moment anyway.

Do you have a Win PC/laptop with the adb/fastboot tools installed? You can get it here if not:

ADB Guide (updated 2014/11/11)

along with instructions to install. You don't need to worry about the drivers, just the adb and fastboot tools in the mini-SDK zip.

Reboot phone to bootloader and plug in to PC (so you see FASTBOOT USB on bootloader screen). Open a command prompt window in the adb/fastboot folder on your PC - if in Explorer hold shift + right click, and pick "Open command window here" from context menu.

Then type:

fastboot devices (this is to check fastboot connects to phone ok, it should return the phone serial number)

If it does, then type:

fastboot getvar all

and post the info the command returns but scrub out your IMEI number and serial number first before posting.

Thank you , Yes I am not concerned with saving anything ,nothing very important , I will switch laptops and install the tools, The laptop I am on now is running Linux , but I have another with windows , I will get it done some time today and get back to you prob tonite, have a great day ;)

Upvote 0
A Linux box is better for working with fastboot and adb as there is none of the driver issues you get with Windows. I'm a windows philistine myself and majority of others looking for help tend to have windows machines as well. Just note the command syntax is different and I'm not best placed to advise on it - @scary alien definitely can though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Guys, I'm back Lol , ok all kidding aside ,I got my windows pc running , its an older dell inspirion 1501 ,windows 7,3gigs Ram, 500 g hard drive, its slow as hell maybe I dont have all my drivers up to par , my main laptop is a lenovo running ubuntu 15,10 and it fly's, ;)

Any who , I downloaded the android-sdk, fastboot, what should my next steps be ??

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Ok, just as a final check can you run through the fastboot commands in post #11 - just want to make sure that the firmware version ties-up with the bootloader OS version (plus check a couple of other things). I haven't found any TWRP backups for Verizon so think the best bet is probably just to run one of the lastest RUUs instead - unless one of the guys in the US can chime in here. It will wipe the phone, but will give you a clean slate free from any issues.

Reactions: Arc_Eus
Upvote 0
Thanks saltire, I will check that and chime back , I have not been able to connect with fastboot, but then realized the htc driver was not installed properly , I tried to run commands thru cmd , I think I may start posting screen shots, if I dont get to it this afternoon ,I will be working on it tonite,

Reactions: saltire
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I had issues with my windows 7 laptop and it gave me more reasons to to use Linux, so I have installed adb/fastboot on ubuntu ,see screenshot , I think I am ready for my next phase , any thoughts on commands I can try next ?

( note; is this the longest newbie thread yet ? ;) )

Attachments

• fastboot3.png
    fastboot3.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones