• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Firmware OTA Update

So is the consensus that the update will only cause problems if you have a debranded/flashed phone?

It appears that if you had a branded phone and you debranded it, then you lose WiFi. If your phone came unbranded, there's no problem.

I would like to know if root is affected - I've got my apps installed on my SD card, so losing root would presumably screw things up in a big way.

Upvote 0
J
NB for anybody else reading this: the radio image in that firmware is reported to simlock some Orange phones. So think twice if you're on Orange.

Are we taking about branded phones from Orange, here?

IE I have a Desire from CPW, which by all intents and purposes seems to be unbranded (based on the "quietly brilliant" startup logo and 405 firmware)... The last think I want is for things to go wonky and end up with a simlocked phone.

Upvote 0
Are we taking about branded phones from Orange, here?

IE I have a Desire from CPW, which by all intents and purposes seems to be unbranded (based on the "quietly brilliant" startup logo and 405 firmware)... The last think I want is for things to go wonky and end up with a simlocked phone.

Then you should receive the OTA update from HTC, without issue.

The firmware I was referring to in that post is the leaked one that's on XDA. It has a newer radio image which disagrees with the branded and locked Orange Desires.

Reactions: michiel.van.wessem
Upvote 0
Just updated. What am I supposed to be noticing???

Changes reported:
- Updates bootloader to 0.80
- New radio image
- New youtube app with HQ option (1.6.20E).
- Fixed htc's weather widget (integrated into clock&weather widget) not knowing where you are (1.15.xxx just said the name of the country in some countries).
- SMS issue (from non-numerical senders) is resolved.
- fixed random contact showing when receiving operator SMS.
- fixes the voicemail bug for the French carrier SFR (short voicemail number used to call 911/emergency).
- Messages app now shows a count on the number of messages in the SMS inbox.
- calendar/contacts bug - unable to store contact's birthday - has been fixed.
- Long click on the menu button when in home screen now doesnt pop up the keyboard, like it uselessly did before.
- SMS reader does not show the little smiley androids any more - just the mere types.

(source: xda forums)

Upvote 0
Well i thought i'd be the guinea pig seeing as i could phone Orange and play dumb if it went wrong.

Downloaded the 1.21 WWE update and went for it. As expected it updated fine and i got asked for a sim unlock code. I had bought one from htcunlock.com in preparation and it worked fine.

I'm now on:

Software : 1.21.405.2

Baseband: 32.36.00.28u_4.06.00.02_2

When it was updating it mentioned updating radio. So i would hope that the phone is now on HTC's standard firmware for both the phone and the radio. If thats the case we shouldn't have this issue again with future OTA updates.

Upvote 0
Well i thought i'd be the guinea pig seeing as i could phone Orange and play dumb if it went wrong.

Downloaded the 1.21 WWE update and went for it. As expected it updated fine and i got asked for a sim unlock code. I had bought one from htcunlock.com in preparation and it worked fine.

Ok, great. Just so I am sure .. this is the OTA update you applied? And why would it ask you for an sim unlockcode??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones