• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Firmware OTA Update

Updated OTA to 1.21.405.2 last night.
At first sight nothing lost apart from the customisation of the screens.

One bug that was annoying me has been fixed: the Mobile Internet can be switched on and off without having to go via flight mode. Before it did not come back on unless I switched flight mode on and back off.

No idea what other things the update is supposed to fix.

Upvote 0
Updated OTA to 1.21.405.2 last night.
At first sight nothing lost apart from the customisation of the screens.

One bug that was annoying me has been fixed: the Mobile Internet can be switched on and off without having to go via flight mode. Before it did not come back on unless I switched flight mode on and back off.

No idea what other things the update is supposed to fix.

What network and country you in?

Upvote 0
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and have just ordered a desire on O2 via CPW and its due to arrive tomorrow. Just been glancing through this thread and I'm wondering whether or not to try and upgrade my firmware when it arrives if it doesn't have the most current one? Are the problems being mentioned here only on phones which have been 'tweeked' in some way ie unbranded, rooted and such like or is it a problem with the firmware even if your phone is a 'virgin' phone so to speak?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Mine is an unbranded Desire on 3UK currenty on version 1.15. I had notification of an update to 1.21 last week but given all the grief people are getting with this update I might just give it a miss. Phone works well at the moment and don't want to spoil that experience.

Anyone else decided on this policy???

Steve.

Upvote 0
Mine is an unbranded Desire on 3UK currenty on version 1.15. I had notification of an update to 1.21 last week but given all the grief people are getting with this update I might just give it a miss. Phone works well at the moment and don't want to spoil that experience.

Anyone else decided on this policy???

I'm on 3 and applied this update OTA on my first Desire as soon as my phone picked it up. The only problem I had was it failed to do the backup part of the update, but I don't recall it causing any other problems.

When 3 sent me my replacement Desire, which arrived a few days after this update was applied to my other one, due to a completely separate issue, it already had 1.21 on it out of the box.

Upvote 0
I'm on 3 and applied this update OTA on my first Desire as soon as my phone picked it up. The only problem I had was it failed to do the backup part of the update, but I don't recall it causing any other problems.

When 3 sent me my replacement Desire, which arrived a few days after this update was applied to my other one, due to a completely separate issue, it already had 1.21 on it out of the box.

I get seriously nervous about messing around with the phone when it does all I want it do in it's current state. I can't see that there is a lot to gain weighed up against the cons reported.

I suppose I will have to bite the bullet when/if Froyo arrives. My biggest fear is losing everything I have put on the phone!!!

Upvote 0
I get seriously nervous about messing around with the phone when it does all I want it do in it's current state. I can't see that there is a lot to gain weighed up against the cons reported.

I suppose I will have to bite the bullet when/if Froyo arrives. My biggest fear is losing everything I have put on the phone!!!

Running an official software update isn't really messing around with your phone. The update adds nothing new apart from increased reliability (mine has been much better behaved since the update).

But, as has been stated a few times, if you *have* seriously messed around with your phone, e.g. de-branded it, update at your own peril.

Whatever you do, make sure you've got a backup of your most important data - which for most people is your contacts.

Any apps downloaded from the market are safe because you can get them again if need be for no additional cost.

Personally, I make sure that my really important stuff like contacts, photos and MP3s are duplicated on my PC. If my phone was stolen tomorrow, I wouldn't have a lot of trouble getting a new one into working shape.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I have a few questions regarding updates and unlocking...wanted to avoid making a new thread. Firstly, I have got an orange branded phone, software number 1.15.61.10. I am happy that i didnt debrand my phone as i was reading that people were having issues with wifi with their debranded orange phones when updated. Anyway, i wanted to ask that i wanna unlock my phone so that i can use another sim in it. If i get a code and unlock my phone, will the non-orange sim work on my phone with the orange htc rom or do i need to have the official htc rom? In simple words, i wanna use another sim in my phone but i dont wanna debrand it or anything. Lastly, has anyone tried this ebay seller?

Unlock Code For HTC DESIRE HD2 LEO HERO LEGEND TOUCH 2 on eBay (end time 29-Jul-10 19:07:31 BST)

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I have what is probably a dumb question, but just thought it's worth checking:

This froyo/2.2 upgrade - will my phone inform me about it, or do I need to go looking for it?

I'm on T-Mobile in the UK, phone bought just about 2-3 weeks ago, so still learning!

If you have automatic checks for software updates enabled (which I believe is the default setting) your phone will inform you in due course when an update is available.

Reactions: Inno
Upvote 0
I bought a desire that was locked to orange i unlocked it and im using a 02 sim card in it how am i fixed for getting this 2.2 update ??

If your phone was originally locked to Orange, you most likely have Orange branded firmware in your phone. Unlocking the phone and using a different SIM won't change the firmware that you are using, or where it looks for software updates. So... you will get an update when Orange do a firmware release (some time after HTC's unbranded update). You won't actually need the Orange SIM to do that.

Upvote 0
P.S. Does anybody in the world *ever* benefit from having a branded phone? Apart from the phone operators, that is. Let's face it: their number one concern is your cash. That's why they cripple certain phone operations, to make life difficult and/or expensive for the consumer.

i got the orange one because i wanted a black desire..

unlocked and unbranded it.. works a treat :)

just need to keep my eyes peeled for a completely black back, minus the orange logo!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones