• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desparately need net10 help, please

hstroph

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2012
Using a Google Nexus 6 now for several years with Android 8.1.0, I have been a Net10 customer for a dozen years or so, using their AT&T MVNO (mobile virtual network operation).

Serious problems have developed recently after they informed me that I needed a SIM card change in February. They sent me the new SIM and instructions for installation, which I carefully followed. The new SIM uses Verizon, which is totally unexpected, as the Nexus 6 is unlocked GSM, not CDMA.

I can make and receive calls and sms text, but data is not available unless using wifi. Several days of voice communications with Net10 have not solved the problem, so I beg for help here, please.

Last edited:
No data unless on WiFi. Check the phone's APN details are correct. As they may need to be updated with the change of SIM and network.
Yes, thank you. The phone settings with the new SIM has:
"Mobile network Verizon" with "Mobile data" and "Roaming" both enabled.
"Preferred Network Type" LTE / CDMA
"System select" Automatic
"Access Point Names" VZWINTERNET radio button enabled

The APN details are grayed-out and apparently not editable. Screenshots attached here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220312-084342.png
    Screenshot_20220312-084342.png
    276 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20220312-084414.png
    Screenshot_20220312-084414.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20220312-084441.png
    Screenshot_20220312-084441.png
    337.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 0
At this point, it is on its last legs.
2-4 years is the purpose built lifespan of these devices, and this one is generations past its prime.

Not that it isn't useful- it will work fine on Wi-Fi until it actually is deceased for any number of reasons.

But it is now so old that it is not compatible with the technology of your carrier.

You already know this, as you stated in not so many words above.

Also, this is the catch 22 of a carrier unlocked device vs. a manufacturer unlocked device.
The carrier branded device will only work on certain frequencies and systems, whereas the manufacturer unlocked device generally works on them all.
(Something to think about when shopping for a new device.)

Ask your carrier if they are providing free devices for existing customers caught up in this change of technology.

If you are a customer in good standing, carriers will provide devices free of charge when the technology forces changes like this.

Upvote 0
Yes, thank you. The phone settings with the new SIM has:
"Mobile network Verizon" with "Mobile data" and "Roaming" both enabled.
"Preferred Network Type" LTE / CDMA
"System select" Automatic
"Access Point Names" VZWINTERNET radio button enabled

The APN details are grayed-out and apparently not editable.
Screenshots attached here.

That just means the APN details were set automatically by the inserted SIM card. So it should all be correct then.

Upvote 0

I can make and receive calls and sms text, but data is not available unless using wifi. Several days of voice communications with Net10 have not solved the problem, so I beg for help here, please.

So the problem is basically just a matter of you're not able to get mobile data working. Since we can just ignore all the background chatter on WiFi issues, which have nothing to do with cellular connectivity, and since phone calls and SMS texting is working out that indicates that at least your basic cellular service with Net10 is active. I wouldn't worry about your Nexus 6 being a problem with the Verizon switchover, your phone has a cellular radio chip that supports both GSM and CDMA, and basically you're using 4G/LTE, the issue being, in really loose terms, GSM and CDMA are becoming old standards and being supplanted by LTE.
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/bl...-cellular-technologies-gsm-cdma-umts-and-lte/
Look in the Network category for the bands your phone supports:
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_nexus_6-6604.php
Anyway, it would help if you listed just what you've tried while talking with those Net10 staffers. It's likely that anything we suggest will be repetitive -- i.e.
-- Have you tried re-seating the SIM card?
-- Have you tried creating a new APN entry?
-- Have you logged into your account using the web interface and checking that things like mobile data is actually enabled?
https://www.net10wireless.com/myaccount/login/collectusername

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So the problem is basically just a matter of you're not able to get mobile data working. Since we can just ignore all the background chatter on WiFi issues, which have nothing to do with cellular connectivity, and since phone calls and SMS texting is working out that indicates that at least your basic cellular service with Net10 is active. ...
After several chat sessions with Net10 tech support and carefully following their instructions, both calls and sms now have serious problems, incoming and outgoing.
You ask:
-- Have you tried re-seating the SIM card?
Yes

-- Have you tried creating a new APN entry?
Yes, not allowed. Tech support wanted me to create TRACFONE.VZWENTP ... Can't edit, can't delete, can't create new APN.

-- Have you logged into your account using the web interface and checking that things like mobile data is actually enabled?
https://www.net10wireless.com/myaccount/login/collectusername

Yes, service is enabled for another 3 weeks, data is enabled with 2GB balance. Each chat session with tech support has lasted about an hour, 7 of them. They all verify the account is active and that data is enabled, but it's not. After rebooting the phone according to them, problems persist.

This has been a great phone and service for several years. The problems started with the new Verizon SIM that Net10 foisted on me, so I think I'll visit an AT&T store to see if I can find an affordable plan there.

Thanks to all who responded.

Upvote 0
You still need a new device.
Regardless of whatever says it is or is not compatible with.

The future only holds one thing for this device- replacement.

You yourself state that the device is YEARS old.

Even if you get it to work (doubtful), how much longer will the battery last?
Is it even replaceable?
Even if it is, the 'new' battery for a device that is years old has been sitting around in a warehouse since the device was on the market.
These batteries degrade with age alone, not only use.

So even if you were to replace the battery, it will not be fresh, and will have a degraded life.

Using this device at home on wi-fi is fine until it finally gives out, but trying to keep it in service as an everyday driver is only setting both you and it up for failure and frustration.

Think of it as an antique auto.
It is great on the weekends and for some fun trips.

But it is not really suitable for the daily commute.

Upvote 0
I think I'll visit an AT&T store to see if I can find an affordable plan there.
I doubt AT&T will activate your Nexus 6, it's not listed as compatible with AT&T VoLTE (which is now required) in either link below. That is probably why Net10 had you switch to a Verizon SIM.

AT&T HD Voice unlocked phones for VoLTE:
https://www.att.com/idpassets/image...Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf

AT&T phones that work with VoLTE:
https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones