• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Developers: How profitable can Android apps be?

happy0506

Jul 24, 2010
chicago
I have a concept for an app that I think would be very popular. I have created the requirements and gotten quotes to have the app developed. Quotes are coming in from $6k to $15k. Some US based, some overseas. Before I spend the money on development and marketing, I'm curious about a few things.

1. How much does Android/Google take of the purchase price. If I were to sell it for $5, how much do I get and how much goes to Google.

2. This is relatively new business model, are developers selling apps doing well overall? Or, is it mainly techie people making apps as more of a hobby and glad to take a few extra bucks off of a few sales?

3. I've got about a half a dozen quotes with a wide variance in cost. Is there something I should be weary of? Are there common "gotchas" to Android app development I should be aware of?

4. Is ongoing support a small or big issue? I see all the time consumers commenting it doesn't work on my xyz phone. Is the fragmentation of the market a huge problem or overblown?

I appreciate any feedback from folks with experience in this area. Thanks!!

1. How much does Android/Google take of the purchase price. If I were to sell it for $5, how much do I get and how much goes to Google.

For Android Market paid apps, Google take 30%

2. This is relatively new business model, are developers selling apps doing well overall? Or, is it mainly techie people making apps as more of a hobby and glad to take a few extra bucks off of a few sales?

There are hobbyist developers and there are commercial companies in the fray. In general for commercial companies, they build "bigger" Android apps that link back to servers 'talking' via web services and whatever mode. This indicate at the server end they have other developers developing in Java,PHP,Javascript etc. This also account for the abundant and rich features in their apps. They have more resources.

Hobbyist developers do have a niche though. We are much cheaper and we cut out middle-men like project manager, systems analyst etc which are all added to your final quotation.

3. I've got about a half a dozen quotes with a wide variance in cost. Is there something I should be weary of? Are there common "gotchas" to Android app development I should be aware of?

To safe-guard yourself from developers or companies over-promising, arrange a milestone kinda payment in your app. Try as much to partition your app into milestones. Then at each milestone demand for a working app that has features built to that milestone. Then you test and gauge if it is worthwhile to carry on this business deal with them.

4. Is ongoing support a small or big issue? I see all the time consumers commenting it doesn't work on my xyz phone. Is the fragmentation of the market a huge problem or overblown?

Most likely the app developers are using un-documented API to achieve some features you want. They do not tell you so that is why while the app may work on your smart-phone, it may not work on others. Another could be others install some third party apps that prevent your apps from working properly. A few popular apps are the culprits though most users turn a blind-eye due to the huge popularity ranking of those apps. They feel those apps are superbly coded so they shouldn't be the cause.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones