• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Developers .. I NEED AN APP for data PLEASE

brnr17

Android Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2009
Wisconsin
I really need an app that allows me to turn off all data while still being able to make phone calls (so no airplane mode). I started a thread and messenger13 found a way to do it. I'm hoping someone here can make this into a nice little toggle widget or soemthing and simplify this process.

I KNEW I had read of a method to disable data, and I finally found the info. This is really cool stuff.

To disable data:

- Open dialer
- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Tap 'Phone Information'
- Press Menu button
- Tap on More
- Tap Disable data connection (Or, Disable data on boot. You could do that on the way TO work, then just reboot when you get to work.)

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.

[Moved from "Devs" to "App Requests" subforum.]

... but isn't this what APNdroid does?
maybe .. does the phrase "stops phone from connecting to the internet" used in the description stop the phone just from using brower, or does it turn off all data connections including text messages?

I basically need to make it so the only function my phone can use network wise is the phone itself. no data whatsoever. do you think this does this?

Upvote 0
APNDroid is great, it turns off the data connection, but not the network connection. Phone calls and messages work fine. Are you saying you want to block SMS messages as well? Why? They don't use the data connection. As far as I know, there is no way to block SMS messages, but not block phone calls. Maybe your network provider could do it on their end

Upvote 0
APNDroid is great, it turns off the data connection, but not the network connection. Phone calls and messages work fine. Are you saying you want to block SMS messages as well? Why? They don't use the data connection. As far as I know, there is no way to block SMS messages, but not block phone calls. Maybe your network provider could do it on their end

i emailed the dev and apndroid only blocks internet, not actual data. I do not want to permanently delete, but i need to be able to turn off data when i go to work, until then i have to turn my phone completely off. messenger 13 found a way which i included above, im hoping a dev can take the process i copy and pasted into my OP and make it into a simple toggle.

Upvote 0
i emailed the dev and apndroid only blocks internet, not actual data. I do not want to permanently delete, but i need to be able to turn off data when i go to work
Not quite following you here. What data are you talking about? Typically when people refer to data (in a smartphone context), they're talking about 2G/3G data, which APNDroid turns off. Other than WiFi and Bluetooth, the only other data is phone calls and messages. What do you want to turn off?

Upvote 0
Not quite following you here. What data are you talking about? Typically when people refer to data (in a smartphone context), they're talking about 2G/3G data, which APNDroid turns off. Other than WiFi and Bluetooth, the only other data is phone calls and messages. What do you want to turn off?

it was explained to me that the phone transfers information in 2 diff ways. Voice calls use one "bandwith" and all data uses another "bandwith" ( i know they aren't called bandwith's but for the sake of the post go with me here). Now i need an app the will allow me to make a phone call, but turn any other type of bandwiths off (texts, internet, apps syncing, etc.) do you follow me?

Upvote 0
it was explained to me that the phone transfers information in 2 diff ways. Voice calls use one "bandwith" and all data uses another "bandwith" ( i know they aren't called bandwith's but for the sake of the post go with me here). Now i need an app the will allow me to make a phone call, but turn any other type of bandwiths off (texts, internet, apps syncing, etc.) do you follow me?
Ah yes, ok, that's clearer. APNDroid does block all data, except for standard texts and calls. Can I ask why you want to block the data? Is it because you don't have a data allowance, so you'd run up huge bills? If so, then APNDroid is what you want. If there's another reason, I don't know of any way to block texts but not phone calls. Texts are essentially on the same 'bandwidth' as voice calls, and APNDroid blocks the other one

Upvote 0
Ah yes, ok, that's clearer. APNDroid does block all data, except for standard texts and calls. Can I ask why you want to block the data? Is it because you don't have a data allowance, so you'd run up huge bills? If so, then APNDroid is what you want. If there's another reason, I don't know of any way to block texts but not phone calls. Texts are essentially on the same 'bandwidth' as voice calls, and APNDroid blocks the other one

i work for the railroad and with all the train crashes that have happened recently the FRA has stepped in and instituted guidelines for cell phone use. It's a $20,000 personal fine issued if your caught breaking these rules on purpose so you can understand me wanting to be thorough!
under their rules, while on a train we are only able have our phone's powered on if the train is stopped, and even then we are only allowed to make voice calls. No texting or browsing. So that's why im looking for an app that will allow me to turn of ALLLL data and let me only make voice calls.

Upvote 0
This sounds like a staff policy thing rather than a technological issue. If you are not allowed text and browse, just don't do it. Surely you don't need a switch to prevent you from texting or browsing, do you?

maybe you didnt read through it correctly the first time ......... IF SOMETHING HAPPENS WHETHER IT BE MY FAULT OR NOT AT WORK THE GOVERNEMENT HAS THE RIGHT TO PULL MY PHONE RECORDS. yes i can manage to keep myself from texting just fine thank you, HOWEVER, i can't control if someone sends me one, or if an application decides to update. Since the only thing i can use is voice calls i'm trying to find something to block everything else. Have i made this clear enough for you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones