• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Development Q's

chevanlol360

Android Expert
Oct 28, 2011
new york
So i'm looking/snooping around the forums and realize the development for this phone is pretty low other than what danhalen1 is doing. So i'm confused here, do you guys have a working/somewhat functional recovery? I understand that your bootloader is unlockable, can you guys flashed kernels? I see that you guys have none but i'd like to try and help you guys out by making one.

do you guys have a working/somewhat functional recovery?
Not really he's got one that will do backup, not too sure if it can even restore that backup.
I understand that your bootloader is unlockable, can you guys flashed kernels?
From what I can tell it'll say it's unlocked, but we still can't flash a custom recovery, so from what I understand it's not truly unlocked.
I see that you guys have none but i'd like to try and help you guys out by making one.
In sure everyone including me would welcome any help that you could offer on ANY front.

Reactions: ZAXIS
Upvote 0
So i'm looking/snooping around the forums and realize the development for this phone is pretty low other than what danhalen1 is doing. So i'm confused here, do you guys have a working/somewhat functional recovery? I understand that your bootloader is unlockable, can you guys flashed kernels? I see that you guys have none but i'd like to try and help you guys out by making one.

At this point i had one recovery build that you can fastboot boot into, but when flashed the screen appears blank. It makes a full backup, but i have not tried to restore from backup.

I am not sure if the blackscreen problem is a result of something being wrong with my recovery, or even though the bootloader says "unlocked" the device is still locked down somehow.

I reached the point where if theres something wrong with my recovery, im not sure what to fix to make it work right. pm me if you want to talk about it more.

Upvote 0
At this point i had one recovery build that you can fastboot boot into, but when flashed the screen appears blank. It makes a full backup, but i have not tried to restore from backup.

I am not sure if the blackscreen problem is a result of something being wrong with my recovery, or even though the bootloader says "unlocked" the device is still locked down somehow.

I reached the point where if theres something wrong with my recovery, im not sure what to fix to make it work right. pm me if you want to talk about it more.

No need to pm, i just realized that this device situation is just like the G3 for Sprint, AT&t, and Verizon. Looks like theres nothing that can be done for now, its a shame. Here's my Kernel source for the LG Volt, It's still stock but LG released a broken source so i had to patch up a few things for it to compile with ease. If anything ever changes for the development of this device regarding cwm, a fully unlocked bootloader or a way around this issue just lemi know and i'll cook you guys up a sweet a$$ kernel;)

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0
No need to pm, i just realized that this device situation is just like the G3 for Sprint, AT&t, and Verizon. Looks like theres nothing that can be done for now, its a shame. Here's my Kernel source for the LG Volt, It's still stock but LG released a broken source so i had to patch up a few things for it to compile with ease. If anything ever changes for the development of this device regarding cwm, a fully unlocked bootloader or a way around this issue just lemi know and i'll cook you guys up a sweet a$$ kernel;)

Yeah i noticed they forgot the audio drivers :) i believe. I really wish we had a way to recover from a failed aboot other than sending it in to lg. It doesnt work out to well that if aboot fails, it defaults to abootb and goes into qualcomm usb mode.

Upvote 0
e4u9aru5.jpg

Yes

Upvote 0
Yeah i noticed they forgot the audio drivers :) i believe. I really wish we had a way to recover from a failed aboot other than sending it in to lg. It doesnt work out to well that if aboot fails, it defaults to abootb and goes into qualcomm usb mode.

Cwm restores back ups successfully and flashes zips, I'm using cwm's superuser.

Would a custom unsecured kernel flip the switch and make aboot fail?

Upvote 0
Would a custom unsecured kernel flip the switch and make aboot fail?

Actually it would demonstrate if we were really unlocked or not. If we are "unlocked" and your kernel boots I'd say my recovery was to blame. If your kernel doesn't boot, we will get some sort of secure boot error screen. We should be able to get into fastboot if it ends in secure boot error I would think. Thanks for putting the kernel on git BTW, cloned it earlier!

Upvote 0
Actually it would demonstrate if we were really unlocked or not. If we are "unlocked" and your kernel boots I'd say my recovery was to blame. If your kernel doesn't boot, we will get some sort of secure boot error screen. We should be able to get into fastboot if it ends in secure boot error I would think. Thanks for putting the kernel on git BTW, cloned it earlier!
Hmm well the G3 for the plagued variants have literally no developments going at all. The forums are dried lol. I don't want you or anyone else to build and flash the kernel cause it could be worse than that unsecure error msg. We'd need a dummy phone. Or if anyone doesnt mind being out of a phone for a few weeks while it gets repaired at lg lol.

Upvote 0
Hmm well the G3 for the plagued variants have literally no developments going at all. The forums are dried lol. I don't want you or anyone else to build and flash the kernel cause it could be worse than that unsecure error msg. We'd need a dummy phone. Or if anyone doesnt mind being out of a phone for a few weeks while it gets repaired at lg lol.
Oh i already tried to build it :) just had a stupid compile error! I reached out to a more knowledgeable dev about trying another recovery build by him to see what happens.

Upvote 0
I didn't think we had a recovery yet, unless you mean stock recovery like when we do a reset on our phones and we start over from scratch... Hope my questions don't sound super stupid! Thanx for responding!

I backed up my stock recovery and kernel, so if u ever try and flash one of the Recovery's in development and it doesn't work, all I have to do is use flashify to restore my previous copy instead of typing out one long command.

Upvote 0
I have the LG Volt boost version, I rooted it with towelroot and I'm using supersu, busybox and viperFX. I already soft bricked the phone once and successfully restored it with the LG flash tool. I'm used to cwm as that was what my Galaxy rush used for recovery... If I can help with development with this phone or help in anyway really let me know. I'll test stuff out on mine, lol as long as I have a way to unbrick worst case. I love android and run Linux everyday, I know this phone can do better too, definitely 4.4.4

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones