• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DHD color banding

HDesire

Lurker
Nov 21, 2010
Guys, anyone notice any color banding on your Desire HD?
It is a glorious screen /even if it is not sLCD or amoled/, however I am quite sure I see some color banding especially towards the grey/black color scale.

Read somewhere about HTC Desire Amoled that 'the panel is only 18bit compared to 24bit on the Motorola Droid and that drivers are only outputting 16bit colors.

Read similar comments about the Evo...

Could there be any issue with the color output on DHD?

OK, no response so far but let me just explain what I am on about...

This is the test image which i took from a similar discussion /i think about HD2/
727968889_11232010_1.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/355/beoriginal.jpg

..now this is how this appears on my pc at 32bits..
454920769_11232010_2.jpg
imag0099sm.jpg

..and this is how it appears on my DHD both in the gallery and as a wallpaper..
357860676_11232010_3.jpg
photo228sm.jpg

You will get the same result on a regular monitor if you turn it down to 16bit colors...
and that bugs me greatly - is it an issue with just my device, could it be the gallery app or is it a driver/lcd panel limitation?

all input is appreciated

Upvote 0
Yep, I have most definitely noticed this also. I have also noticed that when viewing images on web pages, they look more or less fine. However, whenever you scale or scroll, you will see colour banding while the transform function is taking place. One the transform ends, the image reverts to normal. Now, if you save the image then open the local copy, the banding will actually be baked into the image.

Tryit out on the following image link:
http://www.imagica-digix.com/support/cine-tal/download/Stills/8bit_full_grad_1red.png

So open it, then zoom, scroll etc. notice the degradation of the colour gradient while transforming. Now save it and open the local copy. Notice the banding is baked into the saved image.

Seems like a bug to me.

Upvote 0
Edit: actually the saved image seems ok unless it has to be scaled to fit the screen - which includes when you try using it as a wallpaper :(

Edit 2: Ok. After further investigation, it definitely seems to be the way images are scaled in the phone's native software. I opened the gradient image on my PC, edited to it 960x800 (Desire HD wallpaper resolution), saved it out to the phone, set it as my wallpaper and the image looks more or less perfect. It would seem this is due to the fact that the image isn't being rescaled by the phone. As mentioned previously, if I attempt to set the image as a wallpaper in its original resolution, the banding is awful.

PS - sorry about the "edit" in a new post :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones