• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dialer Home screen icon got replaced by Amazon kindle!??! Help please..

on3ofak1nd

Lurker
Jan 20, 2012
So the lower left icon on my home screen which is usually the dialer was randomly replaced by an Amazon Kindle icon... it now launches Amazon Kindle. I've never even used this app!!! I am not sure when exactly it happened but I suspect it may have been after a few apps auto updated... Unfortunately I didn't pay close attention to which apps updated.

I have searched all over trying to figure out how to change it back with no luck. From the info I gathered I don't think you can normally even change the left most icon without a 3rd party launcher? I am using the stock launcher and have not rooted or modified my phone in any way.

I found;
I found this: T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) gets reviewed

About 1/4 of the way down...

"It looks like you can customize the dock on the bottom of the screen, but only the two icons in the middle. To do this, you much go into your app launcher, and make sure the View Type is on Customizable Grid, which you can change by hitting Menu > View Type > Customizable Grid. While still in the Application launcher, hit Menu > Edit to change the two middle dock icons. Not the most intuitive, but we're glad we have the option! Thanks welshy992 for the tip!"

which gives steps which allow you to change the middle two home screen buttons... however I can't even get that to work as when I hit menu in the app launcher I don't have a "view type" option... nor is there an "edit" option. Perhaps it's different for the DroidX?

I also tried uninstalling Amazon Kindle through the app manager and it won't even allow me to do that! There isn't even an uninstall option? This in itself is annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm assuming you are on Gingerbread (Settings, About Phone, Android Version 2.3.3)

You should be able to just long press the Kindle icon till you feel the vibration. Wait for a list of apps to show up and scroll down to the dialer app and select it.

If that doesn't work, longpress the home screen on an empty section, select shortcuts, then Applications, then Dialer from the list. Press and drag the Dialer icon over the Kindle icon and release. Confirm the edit dock prompt. Done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones