• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dictionary

DanGrover

Jun 30, 2009
My mind has just been blown. I consider myself a fairly careful and exploratory user of most things, and Android is no exception - I'd like to think of knowing most its functions, and when people make posts in this forum, I do tend to already know them. But no - my mind was just blown with something so simply that I'm sure i'm behind the curve here.

It always annoyed me how difficult it was to add a word to the dictionary for prediciton. Or, not difficult, but time consuming, going into the settings, text and locale, diction, add. The other day I had a moment of brilliance when I realised that long-holding the text box after typing in a word brought up the option (right at the bottom of the list) to add it to the dictionary. This was faster, but still a bit annoying because it took a second to load the dictionary, then you had to click "Add" again.

I just realised, however, that if you long-hold a word itself in the text entry box, it just adds it. It comes up saying "saved" and bam, it's done.

HALELUJAH!

My mind has just been blown. I consider myself a fairly careful and exploratory user of most things, and Android is no exception - I'd like to think of knowing most its functions, and when people make posts in this forum, I do tend to already know them. But no - my mind was just blown with something so simply that I'm sure i'm behind the curve here.

It always annoyed me how difficult it was to add a word to the dictionary for prediciton. Or, not difficult, but time consuming, going into the settings, text and locale, diction, add. The other day I had a moment of brilliance when I realised that long-holding the text box after typing in a word brought up the option (right at the bottom of the list) to add it to the dictionary. This was faster, but still a bit annoying because it took a second to load the dictionary, then you had to click "Add" again.

I just realised, however, that if you long-hold a word itself in the text entry box, it just adds it. It comes up saying "saved" and bam, it's done.

HALELUJAH!

Not all in life or phones is obvious ... but many us hve found to long-press everything and see what hidden goodies might appear .. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones