• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Texting trouble since updating (Sam Galaxy S20) software

NotMyName

Oct 21, 2012
So within the last month or so I got an update come through on my S20. Apparently my software version is:

Screenshot_20220817-123546_Software update.jpg

Anyway, a couple things I've started to notice which are really annoying

1) If i try and double tap a full stop (period for the Americans I believe) after a number then it deletes the last number.
Example...

I've just tried sending a text where I ended one sentence 2021. I'd double tap to put the full stop but instead of doing that (like it used to) it removed the 1 so then it just said 202 & then it'd put the full stop after the 2. I'd keep doing it keep doing it keep doing it .... and it kept happening.
Another was I was talking about money and went to type 220k & then double tap a full stop. It removes the k and puts the full stop in so it reads 220.

Has been happening since the update. VERY annoying.

2) Another that's happened just now is the annoying auto correction of correct words. Earlier today it autocorrected "you" to "yuu". I mean, come on! I wouldn't mind but then there's some words that SOME times, not all times but SOME times it doesn't autocorrect - example, "theyre". Mostly it will autocorrect to they're but some times it wont ... yet it decides to autocorrect "you" as "yuu".......!?!?

Keyboard I use is Swiftkey. Never had a problem before, until now.

Update - another issue that I've noticed since this update is before, when I used a comma for example, I'd have to hit space & then type the next word. I don't mind this.
Now though, when I put a comma in, it automatically puts a space in as well as, so then I end up double spacing through the habit of hitting space after a comma.

Last edited:
So within the last month or so I got an update come through on my S20. Apparently my software version is:

View attachment 163591

Anyway, a couple things I've started to notice which are really annoying

1) If i try and double tap a full stop (period for the Americans I believe) after a number then it deletes the last number.
Example...

I've just tried sending a text where I ended one sentence 2021. I'd double tap to put the full stop but instead of doing that (like it used to) it removed the 1 so then it just said 202 & then it'd put the full stop after the 2. I'd keep doing it keep doing it keep doing it .... and it kept happening.
Another was I was talking about money and went to type 220k & then double tap a full stop. It removes the k and puts the full stop in so it reads 220.

Has been happening since the update. VERY annoying.

2) Another that's happened just now is the annoying auto correction of correct words. Earlier today it autocorrected "you" to "yuu". I mean, come on! I wouldn't mind but then there's some words that SOME times, not all times but SOME times it doesn't autocorrect - example, "theyre". Mostly it will autocorrect to they're but some times it wont ... yet it decides to autocorrect "you" as "yuu".......!?!?

Keyboard I use is Swiftkey. Never had a problem before, until now.

Update - another issue that I've noticed since this update is before, when I used a comma for example, I'd have to hit space & then type the next word. I don't mind this.
Now though, when I put a comma in, it automatically puts a space in as well as, so then I end up double spacing through the habit of hitting space after a comma.
I have been using SwiftKey for a long time. For me it is a better alternative from stock.
After I got my Samsung S20FE, installed it, configured it and all was good (still is working great).
Then I got a second phone, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10s, installed SwiftKey, configured (or so I thought) and it started doing EXACTLY what you are describing: double space will not put a dot. Also, the comma will NOT add a space after it. So I copied the settings exactly from my Samsung to my Redmi Note and oddly, it started working again.

I have enabled: Autocorrect, Quick period, Auto capitalize, Auto space, Cursor control (love this one) and Quick delete. I did UNCHECK Quick prediction insert.

Also, you do know that if a prediction is incorrect, you can long press it and erase, right? :)

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
After a little research I think it's more MS SwiftKey related than an android update.

Switched out to the Samsung keyboard and couldn't replicate this issue. That immediately made me suspicious.

Add that to the fact that this wasn't even an issue days ago but all of a sudden it is. Check the update history & SwiftKey updated a few days ago.

Then check out the reviews on SwiftKey to find others complaining of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones