• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shrumantha

Lurker
Sep 18, 2023
My Verizon Galaxy Note 20 Ultra did an OS update on Sept 10th, 2023, and again on Sept 14th, 2023.

After the first update, I noticed that my Google Assistant stopped working, but I didn't have a chance to troubleshoot it until after the 2nd update (which didn't fix the issue).

I use a widget on my home screen to tap the mic and ask questions (doesn't work), I use Google messages as my messaging app and the speech to text doesn't work, I go through my apps into the Google app to ask a question (mic doesn't work), and I try to go through the retrain my Google Assistant and it doesn't recognize my voice.

None of these things (that worked prior to the OS upgrade 9/10/23) work now in the regular OS, but if I run the phone in SAFE MODE, they work fine.

I've deleted unnecessary apps (including 2 anti-virus apps I didn't know I had and don't have a subscription for), I've checked all my app permissions (I can only set the microphone to "allow only while using the app"), I've even checked other forums but cannot find out what's going on and cannot figure out what's killed it.

I'm so frustrated. Someone please help!
1000005122.jpg
1000005121.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AugieTN
Let's start out with something simply - Have you rebooted the phone? totally off then turn on
Multiple times. In fact, after about the 8th, I about flushed it. I do work in IT Configuration so basic troubleshoot isn't out of the norm for me and I like to think of myself as tech savvy But thanks for checking - I'm always impressed at how many DON'T start there

Upvote 0
New info:

DND ON, the microphone works in my Google Assistant.

DND off, it doesn't.... WTH???

When I tried to take a video to post, the microphone is active because of the app I'm using for the recording and so the Google Assistant works with DND on or off but as soon as I cut the video, it goes back to not working.

It HAS to be a permission somewhere....

Upvote 0
In the picture you posted, upper right hand corner is the speaker icon saying your sound is turned off? If yes could that cause your mic problem since it works with your do not disturb turned on?
The speaker is saying my ringer is set to vibrate not ring, but I just tried it with my ringer ON and it still didn't work.
Yes, it works when DND is on! I'm baffled....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones