• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did you get the Android 4.3 OTA on the N4 Yet?

does the force update method work anymore? (clearing data and cache from google services framework and checking for update)

i've been attempting that for the last half hour and nothing happened.

This just might still work. Clear the framework like you said and then open the dialer and key in the checkin method in the dailer.

type in *#*#2432546#*#*

*#*#CHECKIN#*#*
Then once it shows checkin succeeded try hitting the update again. You might get it after that or you might not...
Give that a go.

Upvote 0
Will it update properly even though I'm rooted and have TWRP as my recovery?

Here's the deal...I'm running a leaked 4.3 right now. I'm also rooted. I just got the notification for the 4.3 update so I'm wondering how to go about this. I'm no novice but I'm not experienced with OTA's while being rooted. Can someone help me out or post a link that will? I'd be forever in your debt.
My wife got her update a few minutes ago (non-rooted) and I haven't seen anything yet (I am rooted). I don't recall if being rooted affected OTA updates.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I got the update earlier today and I think the performance is really improved. I noticed smoother animations and scrolling, improved touch response and I also noticed a great improvement in battery life!
One thing that caught my attention, though. They removed the clock in the upper-right corner of the screen, next to the signal bar icon, battery icon etc. It appears again the moment you unlock your device, but is it just me or you guys have it too?

b5a749d490ce25b8.png

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I got the update earlier today and I think the performance is really improved. I noticed smoother animations and scrolling, improved touch response and I also noticed a great improvement in battery life!
One thing that caught my attention, though. They removed the clock in the upper-right corner of the screen, next to the signal bar icon, battery icon etc. It appears again the moment you unlock your device, but is it just me or you guys have it too?

b5a749d490ce25b8.png

You are definitely correct about that - I was wondering what was missing!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, new user here! Didn't want to make a new thread so I'll just post it here. I got the notification to install the 4.3 update and I was wondering if it will brick my Nexus 4 since it's rooted. All I did was rooted it, I left the stock 4.2.2 and just got root access and unlocked the bootloader? So is it safe to install 4.3 for me?

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, new user here! Didn't want to make a new thread so I'll just post it here. I got the notification to install the 4.3 update and I was wondering if it will brick my Nexus 4 since it's rooted. All I did was rooted it, I left the stock 4.2.2 and just got root access and unlocked the bootloader? So is it safe to install 4.3 for me?

I've done the exact same thing -- rooted my phone, but never installed/flashed any ROM and the upgrade went fine. I really did it just for Titanium Backup and few other apps.

I suppose I need to check if lost root, but even if I did.. that's easy to get back.

Upvote 0

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm rooted with a custom recovery and I've been sitting here for 2 days staring at this persistent system update notification and its driving me nuts. Someone please help us lol!

Upvote 0
So it's safe then?(I'm such a noob) :D

I'm not sure what you want me to tell you. I can only share what I've done:

When I got my N4, I unlocked it and rooted... so I could use apps like Titanium Backup. I left it at 4.2.2, as well.. I don't really care about the fancy ROMs, I wanted I wanted to run stock Android for a while and see what I liked/didn't like.

With this update, since I'm stock, I didn't even give a thought to your worry -- besides, if it the upgrade went wrong, I can do a factory restore and use TB to "fix" me back how I was.

I'm now on 4.3 and, yes, I did lose root. I'm still unlocked, so once Wugfresh updates his rootkit, I'll re-root. Other than that, no issues for me.

Will you have issues? No idea, that's part of the risk of rooting.

Upvote 0
still waiting for 4.3 in UAE :(

If you have access to and use Facebook, "like" Nexus 4 or go view it, that page has been posting various tips on how to force the upgrade.

1) go to Settings > Apps > All

2) Find Google Services Framework

3) Force stop Google Services Framework

4) Clear data for Google Services Framework

5) Go back to Settings and check for the upgrade

I did this three or four times and then it upgraded.

I also then has to unlink my GMail account and re-add it as... I got errors from the Play store on updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones