• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Difference between 1.5 and 2.1 ?

Well 2.1 has CDMA compatibility built into the OS. 1.5 is patched to allow CDMA which is one reason why there are so many problems with Android on CDMA.

Basically, my battery went from like 9 hours on 1.5 to probably lasting me a day and a half if I needed to. I charge every night anyway, but I think it would go that long at least.

You get the full Market, all the apps we couldn't see in our 1.5 market because they were written for 1.6 or above. I have come across a lot of them, like Urban Spoon, which I never could find in the 1.5 Market. Also, the Market is new, polished, better navigation and so on.

The OS is fast, very fast. I was lucky to not have problems with my stock Hero, but once rooted and running Fresh 2.0d, it is like night and day. Way faster. The rest of the OS seems more polished too. Menus seem more lively with color and so on.

The weather widget, instead of just showing the animation in the widget it is now fullscreen. There are a lot of little things, but basically it is just a better overall package.

Upvote 0
So, overall, you would suggest using this 'beta' issue leaked 2.1 when I get my Hero in, versus just using it stock?

If it's as good as you say it is, I may not even turn it on in the store except to please the Sprint people and set up my google account, then I'll just turn it off till I get home and root immediately!

Upvote 0
That's a tough call. For me, and I believe the majority, everything has worked right from the start on Fresh 2.0d. However, if you rely on your phone you need to be prepared to test everything out and realize that no matter how remote, there is a possibility you could mess stuff up or even brick your phone. One thing I read about is if you disable Sense and just use vanilla android, the lock screen is messed up when your alarm goes off. They have a patch for it. Of course, once you root, you do a backup so unless you really screw up and brick the phone you can always reflash the backup.

I would go for it myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones