• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Difference in Roms? i.e Best ROM?

Whoa it took thousands of people to create their ROM's? I would of thought that many developers could have came up with something better. I guess the air is too thin atop those giant's shoulders.

I'm not going to make a third negative posts about Droidmod regarding this but I don't see the android development community as anyone standing atop anyone else. It's open source and that usually brings about collaboration and teamwork. Droidmod has let the way with OTA updates for root users and that is now being seen elsewhere and their roms were the most popular roms for a long time (maybe still are?) I'm not a big contributer with my money so I try to do my part by helping someone stuck with a problem that I have had. Some of those people buy the "donate" versions of apps or roms to support the community. I don't know how large Android Forums is in relation to other similar forums but we are approaching 100,000 posts in the motorola droid sub forum and yet there is not a single file hosted here! Seems to me that the community is standing together.

After all, some of us paid $200 to Moto for a phone that the "local" devs have optimized and continue to improve every day...meanwhile Motorola and Verizon are set to release the official 2.1 update which was already surpassed by this community back in January...? Look at the people here with 1,000 + posts and wonder how many people they have helped...many of those helped started or chimed in on a thread labeled something like "I've rooted with DroidMod...now what?" :D

Upvote 0
I wasn't being serious, just poking some fun at a over inflated egotistical statement. I appreciate every developer we have for the Droid. I have donated some cash and also provide Pete with all the hosting he needs. I would have done the same for DM but they never replied to any of my PM's or emails.....Anyway I just hope they release something better then everyone else so it will push the rest of the dev's to work harder.

Upvote 0
I wasn't being serious, just poking some fun at a over inflated egotistical statement. I appreciate every developer we have for the Droid. I have donated some cash and also provide Pete with all the hosting he needs. I would have done the same for DM but they never replied to any of my PM's or emails.....Anyway I just hope they release something better then everyone else so it will push the rest of the dev's to work harder.

Oh, I know. Just me with a little light hearted ranting. I find it funny that there is so much jockeying for position and stature. I don't get into the drama and the fall outs that take place within android. Teams breaking up and then posting the personal stories about what happened, devs stealing from other devs and the leaving one forum to post at another like it's a law firm on the opposing side of a legal case. It's not like anyone is infringing on patents yet it becomes like a soap opera at times. I mean seriously...it's software for a phone :)

Upvote 0
Every time I try a new ROM, it seems I fall in love. Each is better than the next. I'm using BlackDroid's Ultimate Droid ROM, and I love it. It gives me a look I love w/ a functionality I can't live w/o. But that's b/c it suits MY needs. Everyone wants diff results. All I can tell you is, rooting is def the way to go.

Upvote 0
Every time I try a new ROM, it seems I fall in love. Each is better than the next. I'm using BlackDroid's Ultimate Droid ROM, and I love it. It gives me a look I love w/ a functionality I can't live w/o. But that's b/c it suits MY needs. Everyone wants diff results. All I can tell you is, rooting is def the way to go.

Agreed! Lot of good stuff out there. You really can't go wrong. Ironic that we can't keep up with all the updates and Moto/Verizon can't squeak one out. I flash roms A LOT (it has become a hobby in itself) and there is so much I don't have time to try :(

Upvote 0
Pete, Chevy, and AdamZ's ESE53 ROMs basically offer the same functionality (2.1 base, 2.1 apps, overclock, wifi tethering, etc.)

They are packaged a little different, have differing looks, but are pretty similar under the hood.

Everyone's Droid is a little different though, so one person's experience will not necessarily translate over to another user's.

People can give recommendations, but you won't be able to tell which one you like the best without trying for yourself.

Can someone tell me the names of these ROMS and where to find them? (Pete, Chevy and AdamZ's ESE53). I just rooted my Droid, and don't need anything fancy right now, just want something very close to the stock configuration with wifi tethering (I tried Barnacle but haven't been able to connect).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones