• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Diffinitive Answer about Google Voice?

so... this is just a hair off of the topic but...

why is everyone worried about sending sms/mms for free? dont you all have unlimited messaging as part of the data/messaging plan vzw makes you sign up for? guess i'm just confused as to why you'd even need to send free sms/mms cuz i thought it was part of the droid plan...

Upvote 0
At this time there is no way in integrate the Messenger application, or any of its replacements (Handcent, Chomp, etc) into Google Voice. You have to use the 406 numbers or use the GV app.

Kinda of a bummer I think with an otherwise great service. Considering that and the fact that MMS doesn't work with GV? I think I'm going back to my normal phone service.

As far as costs, I just looked at my services page on Verizon, and it says I have unlimited messages with my data plan. Can't say this is the case for everyone, but it seems as if we have unlimited messaging anyway. Check your account to be sure.

Upvote 0
so... this is just a hair off of the topic but...

why is everyone worried about sending sms/mms for free? dont you all have unlimited messaging as part of the data/messaging plan vzw makes you sign up for? guess i'm just confused as to why you'd even need to send free sms/mms cuz i thought it was part of the droid plan...

Vzw does not require you to have ANY messaging plan when getting the droid. ONLY a data plan and a voice plan. Therefore users have to choose their messaging plan according to their preferences. Good thing about the droid is the GV app which can allow for free unlimited texting to anyone on any network.

Upvote 0
Nope, I don't have unlimited txts with my plan. It's $5 for 250, $10 for 500 and there's another step up to make it unlimited (maybe $15).

so how much do you pay per month then?

under the vzw plans

PDA/Smartphone plans are $79.99 for email/data/450min or $99 for 900min. its $99 for email/data/450min/unlimited msg and $119.99 for 900min.

if there is a way to skip out on the extra charge for msg from vzw, i'm definitely all for it!

<edit>
although.... unless you use the GV app - since any other msg app doesnt have a "send via gv" option, wouldnt you still be charged for a text? when you put it like this; unless one uses gv to send/receive messages, there wouldnt be a way to dodge the charges since f&f only covers calls.

Upvote 0
hmm...i only pay $30 a month for the data plan and I'm on a family plan that gives 3 phones 700 min for $70/month. plus I have a 250 txt msging plan (for emergencies) on my droid and a $10 txt msging plan on another phone. That brings my grand total to $149 for three phones two seperate txting plans and a data plan as well as insurance on two phones.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to wonder about GV. Yesterday I txt'ed exclusively with the GV app and I checked my bill this morning, I'm still seeing txts show up on my bill from the other person's GV 406 # to my verizon cell #.

I'm WAAAAYYY over my txt limit this month because of this! And I'm still confused! The only thing I can think of is that they still have my non-GV # in their phone too and it's defaulting to that. I'll check today.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to wonder about GV. Yesterday I txt'ed exclusively with the GV app and I checked my bill this morning, I'm still seeing txts show up on my bill from the other person's GV 406 # to my verizon cell #.

I'm WAAAAYYY over my txt limit this month because of this! And I'm still confused! The only thing I can think of is that they still have my non-GV # in their phone too and it's defaulting to that. I'll check today.

Do you have Text Message forwarding on, in your GV app? If you do, when you receive a Text Message through GV, it will forward it to your cellphone.

Upvote 0
Under PHONES>>EDIT MOBILE>>Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only) was CHECKED.

I unchecked it, I'll see how that changes things. I'm assuming that this is the setting that was causing the charges?

I'm definitely not a GV Expert, as I just started using it yesterday... but reading through other GV sites, this appears to be the setting that forwards a copy of your GV txt message, to your phone.

Upvote 0
i think that the only real way to get around being charged by vzw for messaging (now that i've been educated) is to use gv/gv app exclusively. Since no other messaging app sends via gv - not to 406 numbers - by default, then there isnt any other way around sending/receiving a text via vzw unless one uses gv.

Upvote 0
I have 2 apps loaded solely for Google Voice purposes, both free, although both devs appreciate donations.

SMS PopUp. From the dev's site, which is how I learned about the GV integration.
<snip> For users who want to trigger the old Reply you can switch it back in the Button Configuration, its called "Reply (to phone number)" - the only major use I've found for this is if you want Google Voice to trigger when clicking the Reply button.
When you tap the SMS PopUp's Reply (to phone number) button, it opens a dialog box, allowing you to choose between the stock messaging app and GV. I set GV as the default. So, whenever I hit that Reply button, I'm always tossed into GV, where I can compose and send the txt.

GV Dialer
This uses the carrier's network, making it perfect for times when the data connection, for whatever reason, is shaky. Using it ensures your GV number appears as the Caller ID. It now correctly tosses your contact's name and number into the call log after an outgoing call, rather than the looong coded string of numbers.

Mscl
As much as I loved Handcent, I kicked it to the curb once I realized it simply will not relate to Google Voice.... meaning I was charged for those outgoing 406 SMS messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones