1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Disabled Tethering on Coolpad Catalyst /w Family Mobile?

Discussion in 'Android Carriers' started by Laqqy, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Laqqy

Laqqy Lurker
    None

Oct 3, 2017
    My coolpad catalyst phone from walmart has been my main source of internet for a while, pretty much since March this year. I've used it to tether onto the same computer. (and no other computers other than my school computer, which is a chromebook) Last month my provider, Family Mobile added an unlimited high speed data plan (basically 2000GB of 4G LTE) and i've been using it since. But when i renewed it this month, i couldnt tether, USB or bluetooth. I've tried it in many places besides my house and school, so location is not an issue which is what i had thought. My phone is NOT rooted, and i have not changed any settings other than factory resetting it. I am planning on rooting to try and get things working but i wanted to see if anyone knew anything that i could do before that. I can provide any information needed but i REALLY need this for school and other things. Thanks :)

Advertisement

2. Zack M

Zack M Lurker
    None

Oct 7, 2017
    Apparently tly it's happening to everyone with the unlimited plan with not being able to tether now with any devices. I use a chromebook as well when I'm working and this is entirely unacceptable... Family mobile just keep downgrading. Gonna have to look for another provider. Maybe the lower data tiers other than "unlimited" allows it....

3. loonycgb2

loonycgb2 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2013
    Male
    CNC Machinist
    Houston, TX
    Every phone has a build.prop for carrier tether check.

Easiest way to fix this is root the phone and leave system settings as is and download/purchase wifi tether router.

4. mistie3k

mistie3k Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2017
    Yes... they did this to me. Customer service tried to tell me my phone was at fault, but after several hours of double talk & lying, they finally admitted that they did it on purpose. I don't see well enough to use my phone and Now Can't use My tablet. Thanks walmart.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Unlimited*

*subject to limits.