• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disappointed with Zagg Shield

I ripped the Zagg off of mine as well. The installation was a pain, there was dust underneath it (despite cleaning everything per the instructions), and the corners didn't stick properly. I also wasn't happy with the feel of it - it seems like it makes it harder to slide your finger across the screen when scrolling.

Switching to the Boxwave was by far the best move I could've made. I have their anti-glare screen protector, which does SLIGHTLY decrease the clarity of the screen, but significantly reduces glare and fingerprints and has a great feel to it when scrolling. I also use their silicone skin for the phone, which is great too. You can purchase both in a bundle for about the same price as one Zagg.

Upvote 0
Switching to the Boxwave was by far the best move I could've made. I have their anti-glare screen protector, which does SLIGHTLY decrease the clarity of the screen, but significantly reduces glare and fingerprints and has a great feel to it when scrolling.

I finally like my BW anti-glare. It took a couple of days to get used to. It gives the screen a kind of silk screen effect, similar to being up close to one of those bulb-based rear projection TVs. It hurt my eyes at first but now seemed to have adjusted to it - sort of like getting new glasses or contacts. :eek:

I really like the way it feels. It is a little 'plasticy' feeling compared to the bare screen - that's to be expected - but it does have a nice feel to it, IMO.

Upvote 0
sorry... have to join the band wagon.. I got the Zagg screen protector and I loathe it. I can't bring myself to remove it as I spent 15 bucks for it. I bought it direct from Zagg. I liked the concept, but no matter how hard I tried I couldnt get all the bubbles out, and every time I attempted to corect it, more and more crud got under the screen.

I'm actively looking for something else for the screen as I'm one to put my keys in the same pocket as my phone (just out of habit)

Upvote 0
Wow, yeah, I'm at the opposite of this spectrum, I bought mine about 2 weeks ago, threw it on in about 10 minutes, no dust, no bubbles, perfect fit.... I believe the stories though, I had a cheapo on my iphone a couple of years ago and trashed it... I seem to have bad luck on "accessories" as I always seem to buy the expensive crap and end up trashing it or giving it away. But as it stands with the Zagg, felt like a total rapage spending 20 bucks at best buy for a screen protector then seeing them on the actual site, a full body for 24.99.... But, I'm happy with it, I put a huge scratch across my pre the first week I got it trying to plug in the stupid charger so when I got my hero 3 weeks ago I wasn't about to take that chance again...

Upvote 0
What't the point of these screen protectors anyway? I have had smartphones for years and have never ever had a screen protector and have never had scratches on my screen. I also don't carry sandpaper in my pocket. Have you guys seen the video on youtube of the guy trying to scratch his droid screen with a key? Doesn't work. It's glass just like ours.

Upvote 0
i got a zagg screen protector from best buy, had them install it (7.99). the first one they installed had lines going thru it, told me to bring it back if they didn't disappear in 24 hours....they didn't disappear, so i brought it back and they put a new one on. no problems here.
what led me to go ahead and spend the 30 dollars total for the screen protector, was watching my husband go thru 5 universal screen protectors that needed to be cut to fit your phone. took him a matter of 30 min to destroy all 5 and NO screen protector was put on my phone! there is no telling how many more 5 packs of universal screen protectors i would've needed to purchase to have one on mine AND his phones :)

Upvote 0
interesting comments. I had the Zagg full body shield since december and I have no real complaints. I do think it sucks regarding costs for the warranty but overall I do like the shield. I like the grip feel of the shield as it doesn't really slip out of my hand. And the screen is still responsive to taps and swipes. I don't think its something for everyone tho. The installation is a bit time consuming and I think there is a bit of a learning curve. I suggest watching the youtube videos and using a lot of the solution for the front and back of the shield. I also suggest doing the screen first then the back and try to find a dust free area. Had no bubbles too. Have to be patient

Upvote 0
so glad I found this thread! I was debating the zagg, but the sticker shock has been holding me at bay.

not honestly sure if i'm going to get a screen protector at this point, kinda prefer nekkid w/ just a soft shell on back side. but I know now if I do get a protector, it'll be a cheap 3x/4x/5x pack from ebay like I got for the woman's moment. if I'm going to have slight imperfections/bubbles and such, it might as well be in a protector that doesn't burn my pocket, lol.

Upvote 0
install was 30 minutes and had no problems getting it to fit. .

sounds like it :eek: i was just at best buy today and they were explaining how most people aren't applying them correctly and that's why the negative reviews. said... they have a special squeegee yada yada. And they charge $8 to install!

either way it's a slight toward zagg, and you got be b@tsh1t insane to spend $30 plus after all is said and done. the phone itself only cost me $60 and is now $50! Screw overpriced zagg, screw overpriced bestbuy, and screw any piece of thin plastic synthetic whatever for more than a $5 spot. I'd rather chance a scratch (builds character anyway) and have a more responsive screen.

Upvote 0
my vote is for skinomi. I havent tried it on my hero but have it on my pre and it is great. I have tried all the top companies and find that they are the best. It is scratch proof and oil and fingerprint resistive. 9.95 and a lifetime warranty. These are also very easy to install and mine is bubble and defect free. The water under the film dried in 2 days. You also get a 30 return policy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones