• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Discovered a Phone App for SGP

Hello all,
I was reading in another forum yesterday about an app called Talkatune... so I decided to install on my SGP. As you know I live in Brazil and Florida, and yesterday I called my mother from Brazil... for free using this app... and it does work. It is tied to google chat, and only works in the US and Canada for free calls... but I have a google chat account and a google telephone number...

I installed the app. .. it requires you to enter your country code...obviously USA and for my area code. ...

I also installed on my T-Mobile Galaxy Tab ... and it worked....Eliminated and roaming fees.. instantly.... hahahahha

This morning a friend of mine in Florida called my Google number .. and it rang here,in Brasil, on my SGP.... a free international call from Florida to Brasil....
Now I am emailing all my friends my number for them to call me ....

Best, Ted

GoogleVoice will do this too. Free phone number that you can receive and place calls on. And get regular phone numbers routed to. Great when travelling because folks back home don't incur long-distance rates on voice calls to you, they still call your same old cell or home phone...and you get to make free calls too. It's not really free though. You're paying google by letting them use all the information about what you are doing and where you are.
Personally, I'm a bit unnerved by the infiltration of google. I mean, a lot of it is good, and free obviously. But they log everything you do when you are signed into any of their services and sell the data to advertisers. Take a look at your google dashboard to see that data that's being tracked. Personally I just try to use their services judiciously and limit how much I "sign on". But if you don't care about any of this, it's pretty cool.

Skype lets you place calls and text using a pre-paid account (via wifi, obviously). But there's no phone number for anyone to call back to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones