• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Display Brightness Setting

the.timmer

May 13, 2011
Tried searching quickly on this, but couldn't find anything.

I've set my brightness to the lowest setting, and turned off the auto adjustment feature. I can't find any consistency to it, but every once in a while it will change the brightness on its own and set it at about 25% of the slider bar.

This has happened to me a number of times since I've had the phone (about a month now) and have no idea what could be causing it.

Any ideas?

Edit: Forgot to mention that power cycling the phone doesn't seem to help.

just curious, why would you want the lowest level? i had it at probably 1/4 setting without out brightness and when i went outside i could BARELY see anything on the phone. it was like i was looking in a mirror with all the glare.

To save battery. The screen is the biggest battery drainer, in a short period of time. I turned off my auto screen brightness as well and noticed a big change in my battery lasting longer. I have mine set at like 10% brightness, while indoors, and bump it up higher when outside as needed.

Upvote 0
could be one of your apps doing it. some of them will adjust brightness levels.

Ah, I'll have to keep an eye out for which app is (most likely) causing it.

With the display typically being my biggest battery drain, I'd rather keep the brightness all the way down. Plus, I've lived for years with phones that aren't great in the sun. It's not that bothersome to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones