• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

garyfritz

Mar 9, 2013
Suddenly a week or two ago, my RAZR M's earpiece started sounding really distorted -- bad enough that it's often hard to understand people. Before that, it was always quite clear, then overnight it got really distorted.

It sounds like it's overloading, but it still sounds bad even with the volume turned down.

Speakerphone sounds fine, so the signal it's getting is OK. The problem seems to be in the earpiece itself.

Any guesses what might cause this, and how I could fix it?

Perfect! Just the sort of info I was looking for. Mine doesn't sound "gravelly" like yours did, but maybe it's just different cruft in there.

Did you end up removing the Motorola label to clean behind it? Can you put it back once you pry it off?

Right now I'm in Canada, outside Verizon range, so I'm not using the phone per se. I have no way to play a sound through the earpiece instead of the speaker. I'll try this when I get home.

This is kind of similar to another problem I had with the USB port. Always had a problem with the USB cable falling out if you bumped or moved the phone at all. Finally I went in there with a needle and discovered a bunch of lint had gotten jammed in there and packed into the bottom of the socket. It wasn't visible but it prevented the cable from seating properly.

Upvote 0
FYI: I tried hitting it with some compressed air and that didn't help.

I happened to be at the Verizon store so I asked them about it. The agent said "Hm, sounds like it's probably a bad solder joint. Let's replace it under warranty." I said nice thought, but it's over a year old. She checked my account and said "Ah, but you have the extended warranty!"

So I'm getting a brand-new phone out of the deal. Gotta love that. :D

Upvote 0
FYI: I tried hitting it with some compressed air and that didn't help.

I happened to be at the Verizon store so I asked them about it. The agent said "Hm, sounds like it's probably a bad solder joint. Let's replace it under warranty." I said nice thought, but it's over a year old. She checked my account and said "Ah, but you have the extended warranty!"

So I'm getting a brand-new phone out of the deal. Gotta love that. :D

Don't count on the phone being "brand-new". More likely a refurbished one. If it is a new one, hats off to you.

Upvote 0
This is actually the second time I've faced this problem: suddenly the sound on my wired Sony earbuds+headset sounds very badly distorted, which is baffling because 1.) the same headset sounded fine yesterday and still sounds fine today plugged into my computer, and 2.) my computer speakers play the audio just fine plugged into the headset jack of my HTC One M7 running Android 4.4.2. Maddening.

But what's really driving me bats is that the last time this happened, I ran across a simple solution online about a change in the labyrinthine web of settings on my phone. I even remember thinking at the time "what a relief that this is so simple to fix...but I never would've found this setting if someone hadn't specified it online." Guess I was right about that :/

Upvote 0
Here we go: it's not the simpler method I found before, but the result is the same. The pre-amp in the OS is wrongly configured to push the headphones with the same power as the main phone speaker, which distorts the crap out of the signal going to the headphones. If your phone is rooted you can get the free Root Browser app and change the power setting from 67 to 16 in the sound_mfg.txt file and you're good to go. Detailed instructions here:

http://www.davebennett.tv/android-boost-speaker-volume/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones