• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ditch UDP?

How much data do you really need?

You said 4gb (between both lines) was working for you, so we'll assume that for comparison. This is for staying off-contract for all too, check swappa.com for phones, great site.

Cricket:
3gb (each), line 1 $45, line 2 $35 = $80 (no taxes or fees, uses AT&T, autopay option)

Verizon:
4gb (share), $70 + 2 x 30 = $130
10gb (share) $100 + 2 x 15 = $130

AT&T
4gb (share), $70 + 2 x 25 = $120
10gb - same as Verizon
30gb - $130 + 2 x 15 = $160

Sprint
4gb (share) $100 for now but will be $130 when the promo expires eoy
2 unlimited plans = $120

TMobile
2 lines, 3gb each, $100
2 lines, unlimited each, $140

Straight Talk
2 lines, unlimited (3gb 'til throttled) $90

If I only had 2 lines that didn't need a ton of data and AT&T was reliable here I'd be all over Cricket. I need Verizon coverage and have 5 lines so I am contractless and getting either 14 or 16gb (I watch and change) at $15/line + data.

A bargain isn't a bargain if you can't use your phone/data where you need to!

Of course all of the above changes when you figure in the cost of the phone or decide to subsidize and there are other carriers out there. Just tried to break it down a bit. Don't forget to calculate fees/taxes and any discounts you'd be eligible for too.

And, call Verizon about the 6gb loyalty plan, just don't jump on it unless you know it's a good deal for you. Ask them if you need a contract for that or not, I've no clue about it.

Reactions: slick_vick
Upvote 0
Cares - good point, makes me curious to see how my data usage has changed since I had the OG Droid back in the day. you never know!

Thanks for the breakdowns, Clemetine. Yes, 4gb or less seems to be our average and I haven't heard about any major coverage issues from the major carriers around here (I have surveyed many friends lol). I had forgotten about Cricket too, so I will be sure to check into that.

It kinda sucks since we're just 2 lines, so all the family/share deals that seem really amazing aren't that great just for 2 lines. It seems like I should be able to save some money on a monthly basis but by the time the phone cost gets factored in (either by subsidizing, monthly payment, or byo) then there isn't any money to be saved at all. Plus your monthly payment will depend of which of those 3 you choose, it just makes my head spin!

Anyway, thanks both for your insights. Much appreciated! :D

Edit: Man, at this point I'm eyeing the Tmobile $30 prepaid plan. 5gb + unlimited text + 100 talk minutes which you can easily increase if needed. Anyone have experience with it? S'pose I should be asking the Tmo forum lol....

Upvote 0
I considered tmob, but I travel a lot in the southeast and need coverage on the road.

I am canceling my Verizon service for Sprint when the Note 4 is released. Going for the $60 unlimited plan. I was a Sprint customer a few years back and probably would still be out it weren't for their Wimax debacle.

With Verizon, I am constantly running out of data...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones