• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do 4G Phones Work in 3G Networks?

Isthmus

Android Expert
Jan 6, 2010
I currently have a Droid that works on verizon's version of 3g. with all this talk about up coming metered pricing for wireless access, I was wondering whether when it comes time to upgrade my phone to a 4G device, whether it will also work on 3G networks. I ask because current speeds work well for my use and I'm tempted to keep my current unlimited plan if a metered plan becomes more expensive. however I won't be able to do that is my replacement 4G phone won't work in 3G networks.

Any thoughts?

To get a smart phone now you have to accept the $30 data plan. What makes you think they won't require the 4G "buckets of megabytes" plan for any 4G phone, regardless of what network you're actually on?

Trust me, you get a 4G phone, you'll be paying 4G prices.

Nothing to do with what was asked.

Also, the OP should look into how cell phone modems work. WiMax and LTE have nothing to do with the CDMA network a Verizon phone would have.

Upvote 0
To get a smart phone now you have to accept the $30 data plan. What makes you think they won't require the 4G "buckets of megabytes" plan for any 4G phone, regardless of what network you're actually on?

Trust me, you get a 4G phone, you'll be paying 4G prices.

What makes me think is that If I continue making my monthly payment a carrier can't force me to sign a new plan after the current one expires. since the current one is unlimited, if the new throttled plan proves to be more expensive, i might be better served simply keeping the service I have now. of course that would only work if I either keep my current Droid, or whether whatever 4G phone I replace it with works on the current 3G network.

Nothing to do with what was asked.

Also, the OP should look into how cell phone modems work. WiMax and LTE have nothing to do with the CDMA network a Verizon phone would have.

Understood, hence the reason for my question. As I understand it, verizon's 4g network is supposed to be LTE, but that is not the case currently. I could be wrong about this though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones