• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I tell if my phone is connected to 3g or 4g?

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I want to know what network type my phone is **actually connected to right now**, not what it's capable of (which is all Google turns up when I ask the above question, stupid thing). It will do up to 4G(1) but I can find no way of finding out if it's on 3G or 4G. My old phone used to have 3G or 4G next to the signal bars, and I'd see one or the other depending on the area I was in and how near a mast I was), but this one (a Samsung A10) doesn't.

(1)It actually says 2G/3G/LTE auto select. Google says LTE is the same as 4G, is that correct?

Reactions: AugieTN
    Here is a screenshot of the top of my desktop screen, also when I swipe down twice for the most information. It's Android 11 on a Samsung Galaxy A10.

1681909872264.png

1681909879320.png

Upvote 0
    Thanks, that worked. It's like it's assuming I don't want to know the connection type when I have Wifi, but 4G is used for calls aswell as data!

The reason I asked originally was due to the email I just got from GiffGaff, my phone network provider, about the UK government running a new emergency alerts system (invasion by Russia? Not sure what that's all about), and it only works on 4G, then I found out 3G is gradually being switched off from now. Looks like my mum's 2G phone will need to be replaced soon!

Upvote 0
    Yeah, I think that the network type indicator is really a "what data connection am I using" indicator, so it doesn't show when you are connected to WiFi.

If you really need to know you could find a widget. I use a homebrew KWGT widget as the clock on my home page and that displays the mobile connection type regardless of whether you are connected to WiFi.

The emergency alert thing has been a standard phone feature for years, just never been set up in the UK.

Upvote 0
    The UK one does not work on 3G. Perhaps it can and does elsewhere, but since they're stopping 3G soon, they didn't bother here.
    Not sure what emergencies it will broadcast, it says government and emergency services. I'm assuming it contacts everyone in the cell area, so it won't be localised things like "your next door neighbour's house is on fire and it may spread to you" - more like massive forest fire (which we don't get in the UK), or nuclear war. Are they really epxecting that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones