• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do U Recommend Moto X?

quadtronix

May 10, 2012
Hey all! :D I was wondering... for those who have a Moto X or know alot about it, do you recommend this phone? Let me give you a little background on my situation so you know where I'm coming from...

I have the Droid DNA. My upgrade date on VZW is very soon. I'm kind of torn between the Note 3, Moto X and Nokia Lumia Icon. Also considering the iPhone 5S... LOL. (Don't judge me).

The reason I would go for the Note 3 is it is a phablet... I don't care about it's other features. The Moto X on the other hand is Nexus-like IMO and that is it's draw for me... I use google Now alot and being able to launch that when the phone is on my desk (hands free) is a big plus! The Lumia Icon is just new and fresh. The iPhone- nice build quality but that's about it.

So... if I get the Moto X it will complement my Nexus 7 nicely, but if I go with the iPhone it will go well with my iPad Air. I probably won't get the Icon and the Note 3 is a contender but pricey! :thinking:

So my question is this: Is the Moto X screen big enough for you all? Do you think it will be big enough for me to surf the web on alot and maybe read ebooks? Do you all consider the Moto X Nexus-like? Would you go with the Moto X over the iPhone? Would you go with the Moto X over the Galaxy Note 3 and why? Are you happy with the Moto X? Ok... that's more than one question I guess but I would be very interested in responses to any of those questions and anything else you would care to share.:)

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing what you all think! I can use all the input possible as my contract will be up in less than two weeks and I am currently researching my options extensively!! Thanks again...

Joking aside, if you have a Nexus 7, why would you want/need a phablet? I have the Moto X since last Thursday and I find it awesome, anybody I have shown the "Ok Google Now" trick to, is blown away by it (S4 and iPhone users)
It got the 4.4.2 Kit Kat upgrade 20 mins after switching it on, which is brilliant and what a lot of people over look these days in this world of Megabit this and Gigabit that, is that it is absolutely brilliant at making phone calls (even over bluetooth)
I would say go for it.

Upvote 0
I went from the Note 3 to the moto x developer edition and I have no regrets. Note 3 is a great device, don't get me wrong, but for me (on Verizon) it sucked as a phone ... I'll just leave it at that.
If you're a big Google Now user already I'd highly recommend the x. I was an occasional user prior, but with the touchless controls feature I find myself using it a lot more ...
I have a Nexus 7 too and I love the fact that the transition from phone to tablet is seamless ...
Screen on the moto x is beautiful IMO, active display is great ...
If you're willing to drop $300 or so for a Note 3 on contract, you may want to look into buying a moto x outright being their still having a $70 off sale. You'll be able to land a developer edition off contract for a few bucks more than buying a phone at a subsidized price...

Reactions: quadtronix
Upvote 0
Never had a Nexus, never had an i anything (well, except an iPod a loooooong time ago), never had a tablet or phablet and never had a Nokia so I can't compare for you. However, the X is the best phone I've had to date, absolutely love it.

Screen size is perfect for me, very crisp and clear and not too big. I don't know how I've lived without active notifications, such a great feature. 'Feel in hand' is superb, it really fits my hand nicely. Shake to open camera is nice, it's fast. That brings me to the only downfall...the camera itself. It's either great or horrid. Outside/well lit shots are great, inside/under-lit shots leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully 4.4.2 will fix that. There is nothing that I don't like about this phone. Go to a store and play with one, only you can decide if it's right for you.

Just wondering, do you have unlimited data still? If you upgrade through Verizon you'll lose that. The X is $70 off through the 22nd if you order on Moto's site, no contract renewal so no change in plan.

Upvote 0
Never had a Nexus, never had an i anything (well, except an iPod a loooooong time ago), never had a tablet or phablet and never had a Nokia so I can't compare for you. However, the X is the best phone I've had to date, absolutely love it.

Screen size is perfect for me, very crisp and clear and not too big. I don't know how I've lived without active notifications, such a great feature. 'Feel in hand' is superb, it really fits my hand nicely. Shake to open camera is nice, it's fast. That brings me to the only downfall...the camera itself. It's either great or horrid. Outside/well lit shots are great, inside/under-lit shots leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully 4.4.2 will fix that. There is nothing that I don't like about this phone. Go to a store and play with one, only you can decide if it's right for you.

Just wondering, do you have unlimited data still? If you upgrade through Verizon you'll lose that. The X is $70 off through the 22nd if you order on Moto's site, no contract renewal so no change in plan.

I have the 4GB plan for $30/Month and am told by VZW that that won't change even though it's an old plan... I am definitely going with the upgrade price though cause I don't want to pay any more than I have to... money is tight right now and the Moto X will be only $50. I don't use the camera too much but when I do I like it to work well. It's not a major factor though for me... Thanks for the input! :)

Upvote 0
Joking aside, if you have a Nexus 7, why would you want/need a phablet? I have the Moto X since last Thursday and I find it awesome, anybody I have shown the "Ok Google Now" trick to, is blown away by it (S4 and iPhone users)
It got the 4.4.2 Kit Kat upgrade 20 mins after switching it on, which is brilliant and what a lot of people over look these days in this world of Megabit this and Gigabit that, is that it is absolutely brilliant at making phone calls (even over bluetooth)
I would say go for it.

You're probably right about not needing a phablet when I have the N7... I also like that the Moto X has Kit-Kat too! Thanks! :D

Upvote 0
I went from the Note 3 to the moto x developer edition and I have no regrets. Note 3 is a great device, don't get me wrong, but for me (on Verizon) it sucked as a phone ... I'll just leave it at that.
If you're a big Google Now user already I'd highly recommend the x. I was an occasional user prior, but with the touchless controls feature I find myself using it a lot more ...
I have a Nexus 7 too and I love the fact that the transition from phone to tablet is seamless ...
Screen on the moto x is beautiful IMO, active display is great ...
If you're willing to drop $300 or so for a Note 3 on contract, you may want to look into buying a moto x outright being their still having a $70 off sale. You'll be able to land a developer edition off contract for a few bucks more than buying a phone at a subsidized price...

The Note 3 is $200. If I get the Moto X though that will be only $50... Being as money is tight right now I think I will have to do subsidized. I'm leaning more and more toward to X. It's not just the price either. If I could choose any phone right now, my first choice would be the Nexus 5 but I am on a Verizon family plan and the Nexus is therefore not an option... :mad:

But I love stock Android and the Moto X is probably the closest I'm gonna get to a Nexus on Verizon so I might just go with the X. I've been reading some great reviews about it and watching some youtube videos too and it looks like it will be a great choice. Thanks for your help on this matter! :)

Upvote 0
I actually had one designed, ready to hit the order button, when news of the proposed sale to Lenovo came across my desk. Well, if it's as good a phone as I've read, ownership is not a difference maker in the near future.

I am coming from a RAZR M, have enjoyed Motorola phones for their great radios (yeah, I do actually use it as phone on occasion ;). I am looking forward to using the touchless controls, and overall integration that I have read so much about.

Buying the phone outright, after doing the math. It's not set to come until next week, so I will update then.

Thanks,

David

Upvote 0
Just received mine today :D and I love it, especially after my 3 month experiment with the iPhone 5... Will never go back!!! Active notifications is the most useful I've found, touch less is awesome, but haven't had a use for it yet. Battery is mixed feelings so far, I took a drive for 30 min, moto assist on, Bluetooth, and streaming music and went from 99% to 86% which is not good, but we'll see after a decent charge.

Upvote 0
I actually had one designed, ready to hit the order button, when news of the proposed sale to Lenovo came across my desk. Well, if it's as good a phone as I've read, ownership is not a difference maker in the near future.

I am coming from a RAZR M, have enjoyed Motorola phones for their great radios (yeah, I do actually use it as phone on occasion ;). I am looking forward to using the touchless controls, and overall integration that I have read so much about.

Buying the phone outright, after doing the math. It's not set to come until next week, so I will update then.

Thanks,

David

The whole Google selling Motorola bothered me a bit too, but like you said, if its a good phone then shouldn't matter. Am considering if I will customize mine or not... I would like to but don't want to wait. Lol... I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get yours.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Given the limited duration of this $0.01 sale, you may want to try calling and talking to a CSR and see if there is a way you can buy the device at the upgrade price now and then wait until your eligible for your upgrade before activating.

May not work, but could save you $50 if it does. Also, you need to be clear that you want to buy it through Moto Maker, if you buy direct from Verizon I think their price is still $99.99 with a $50 gift card rebate.

Upvote 0
Given the limited duration of this $0.01 sale, you may want to try calling and talking to a CSR and see if there is a way you can buy the device at the upgrade price now and then wait until your eligible for your upgrade before activating.

May not work, but could save you $50 if it does. Also, you need to be clear that you want to buy it through Moto Maker, if you buy direct from Verizon I think their price is still $99.99 with a $50 gift card rebate.

My upgrade wasn't until the 28th. Called Verizon, and they let me upgrade early! WOO WOOT! Get mine in a week!

Upvote 0
Im getting rid of my iphone. The new iOS 7 is extremly to girlish for my likings...

I just ordered the Moto X today. I talked to a CS chat on the internet lady and she even gave me the basic black/white moto x for free. So i didnt even have to deal with the design your own moto x for a penny deal.

Cant beat free!!

So i should be getting mine tomorrow cant wait!

Upvote 0
Well, I spoke to a VZW salesperson and she said I can't get it early but if the promotion is still on by Saturday I will get it free! Otherwise it should be like $50... If I order it Sat. it should arrive Tues. or Wed. I can't wait! I'm 99% sure now that I'm going with the X no matter what but have to admit, the S5 looked nice to me. But I'm not waiting a month and a half to be an early adopter...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones