• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you pocket or case your DX?

I have butter fingers... i pocket my phone constantly, along with a screen protector and fit case. I hate hard plastic, or snap ones. I dropped my phone twice today... from a standing height.

If i am paying some attention I try and cradly my phone with my foot like juggling or hacky sack to brace the the phones fall. ONLY 1 time did I accidentally kick it (blackberry curve number 6 lol)

Upvote 0
Pocket, naked with screen protector. This phone is really slim and takes up less space than my BB used to in my pocket.

I was using the BB Rocketfish case for a while which I really liked but I prefer the phone naked. I have insurance also so if something major happens I can replace it. I also have the leather holster from Verizon that I will use once in a while if I know it's going to be in a rough environment.

Upvote 0
I just pocket it without any guards or protectors. I have quite large pockets.

I would have a screen protector by now, but I realized that Amazon sells decent three-packs for around $1.40, (including shipping costs). That's a lot better than the ones you can get at Verizon retailers for upwards of $11.99, and that don't even fit the screen entirely, (have only heard this. haven't confirmed). I will probably order some soon.

Upvote 0
Naked mostly for now. I trust the gorilla glass, so we won't be using screen protectors.

I got a silicon case, and when hiking will probably slip that on for some additional protection. I dislike the additional bulk it adds, and how it won;t slide down into my pockets as easily with it on.

I also bought a hard clear case.. that does look sharp, and adds less bulk, but I suspect it is styrene plastic, and will probably shatter on impact from a bad drop, so no real plans on using it on a daily basis.

(Besides, I'm going to add a Ghostbusters PKE handle to it, and some pull out side wings for dragoncon.)

Upvote 0
pocket, screen always in toward my leg (dont really know why)

I do the same thing, but I know why I do it. Screen is protected that way. Friend of mine always had his phone in his pocket with the screen against his leg, but once he just dropped it in without paying attention, then bumped his leg into a steel table. Of course, the phone was screen out, and screen was broken.

Upvote 0
I have a case, skin, and pocket it. Just trying to keep the resale of my phone high when I sell it. I do this with all my phones. lol

So do I, which brings up an interesting point. So, for people like us who begrudgingly use cases and screen protectors to ensure maximum dollar upon resale, is it worth it? I suppose, since we are intending to sell our phones in the long run but think about our use with our devices in the long run.

We spend maybe a year, two years with a phone we literally haven't "touched" with our own two hands since we first got it. Call me technical but sometimes I feel like I didn't really get maximum "enjoyment." It's petty and probably just me blowing hot air but some times I think about things like that.

As for me now, Seidio Innocase Surface with Zagg invisible shield.

Upvote 0
So do I, which brings up an interesting point. So, for people like us who begrudgingly use cases and screen protectors to ensure maximum dollar upon resale, is it worth it?

You know, I don't know! I intentionally kept my iPhone in a case with a screen protector, partly because I want to keep it looking nice, and partly to protect resale value. But now that I'm bailing on AT&T and have a Droid X on order, I'm seriously thinking about keeping the iphone around to use like an iPod Touch! It's become my alarm clock with the dock I have in the bedroom, and I have tons of games and books on it, plus, even without data, I can still use the Navigon software as a GPS. But on the other hand, with the internal stuff I've preserved with my jailbreaks (old bootrom and baseband, all SHSH files backed up, all the stuff the jailbreak community loves), I could probably get around $400 for it on eBay. What to do, what to do!

Upvote 0
So do I, which brings up an interesting point. So, for people like us who begrudgingly use cases and screen protectors to ensure maximum dollar upon resale, is it worth it?

We usually keep phones for the entire 2 year contract or more... and by then,. the resale value is pretty low, so I don't see the point in our case.

Our last phones were ENV2s.. check the resale value of those used right now.. about $50-$60 I think.

Upvote 0
When I get mine, at work it will be in a case then in a holster on my hip.

The pockets of my scrubs are too big to securely hold a phone of any sorts.

All other times will be in my pocket.

So all of the above.

Just haven't found a case I'm really happy with yet. Even though I don't have the phone, none of them look appealing. Any recommendations?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones