• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use a task killer?

Do you use a Task Killer?

• Yes

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 54.5%

• Total voters

TripsYou

Oct 13, 2010
Calera, AL
I am so torn weather to use a task kill or not. What is the difference between Advanced Task Killer and Automatic Task killer, is there even a difference? Those of you who do use a task killer, have you seen a difference in the smoothness of your phone and longer lasting battery?

Please spread the word about this thread. I am very interested in seeing what most Captivate users use! Thank You!

There is a lot of info out there about this, including being posted many times in android forums. Anyways; there are a lot of people that say they help and others (mainly users that are programmers and developers) that say that task killers do not help. Just Google search task killers and Android, you will see tons of pages. Here are three very informative sites that should help you decide:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

My advice read up as much as possible and decide for yourself and personally I don't use them, so that is my $0.02; if you ae going to use one, stick with ATK...

Reactions: contradictions
Upvote 0
How do task killers harm you? Almost everyone says that they do (and I believe you guys), but no one really ever says why task killers are not good.
Just curious.

If a task killer is ending tasks that keep my widgets running, or stops programs I actually want running and updating, it's useless to me. If it stops a task, which then restarts itself and uses up more battery doing it, I'm not interested. I don't have the interest to sit there and try to tweak something like ATK to work the way I want it to without causing more problems that the captivate already has. I'll let the OS and the apps do their thing and close something manually if I need to.

Upvote 0
No, they use me...
2.gif

Upvote 0
I restart my phone every week or so. I use Android System Info to go in and manually kill apps that start automatically. Unless I leave something running I see no reason to continually kill apps. If I do texting and talk 30 minutes or so I can get by with using 20-40% battery power per day.

I don't have weatherbug and other things continually running either.

It has been stated that even though the app is open, it may not have been doing anything since some system controls require access to certain things in order to run properly.

Upvote 0
I am so torn weather to use a task kill or not. What is the difference between Advanced Task Killer and Automatic Task killer, is there even a difference? Those of you who do use a task killer, have you seen a difference in the smoothness of your phone and longer lasting battery?
Please spread the word about this thread. I am very interested in seeing what most Captivate users use! Thank You!

I recently uninstalled ATK, phone still runs the same with the only exception being that I got a very slight boost in battery life.....so overall it doesn't seem to matter but I am not going to reinstall it since I got a slight plus from not having it on there. Just my two cents. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones