• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone use the trackball?

Optical trackball is excellent.
Very usefull for:
navigating between screens
navigating in browser (without touching screen)
taking photos (trackball activates timer - touching screen doesn't)
there are apps that can use it to signal (flashing)
Alltogether an excellent addition to a very good phone

agrred...
i originaly wantied the galaxy s and was a bit didipointed when i had to take the desire. i think we all take the trackball for grantied as iv had the desire a few months now and last week i was in a phone shop and had a mess about with the galaxy. first thing i noticed was the lack of the trackball and felt disipointed with the lack of one on the galaxy s. now i feel lucky to have got the desire as it is way better build and the software/rom is much better :)

Upvote 0
btw: anyone managed to get widget locker to actually unlock the screen with any buttons? :/

Open widget locker -> menu -> settings -> advanced -> check off 'easy wake mode'. This allows you to presss any hardware buttons to wake.

Im in Thailand and all apps in The Market are free.When In search for this all that comes up is: Ownwerinfo Widget

But I will send the developer an email now as I have the details

Just so Im clear, will this app allow me to turn on the phone via the trackball, say in the middle of the night and so display the clock?

many thanks

Rob

Yeah, contact the dev so you can buy the app off of him/her :)

Yes, you can use the trackball to wake up *points to the comment to Dan*

Upvote 0
I'm with the Widget Locker crew and use my trackball (or the volume up and down buttons) to wake my phone all the time now. :D

I noticed above somebodysaid you can get apps which will cause the trackball to light up/flash. I use Handcent for SMS texting etc bcoz it will light the Desire LED different colours but which apps can light up the trackball please?

Upvote 0
Open widget locker -> menu -> settings -> advanced -> check off 'easy wake mode'. This allows you to presss any hardware buttons to wake.

Yeah, contact the dev so you can buy the app off of him/her :)

Yes, you can use the trackball to wake up *points to the comment to Dan*
Roze

I tried that (kevin@leslacoilsw.com) but the mail bounced. As its NOT available on the market in Thailand do you have his details? It looks like this is the app I need

Many thanks

Upvote 0
I just tap on screen as to where i want to edit the text, might take a bit of getting used to with the accuracy of it but its pretty simple

One of THE things that DOES MY HEAD IN is that ability to get to the correct area of text on screen to edit text, as in - tap on screen - I'm now gonna use the trackball thingy...it really helps !!!

Upvote 0
One of THE things that DOES MY HEAD IN is that ability to get to the correct area of text on screen to edit text, as in - tap on screen - I'm now gonna use the trackball thingy...it really helps !!!

yeah i find the same - trying to point at screen to get it to go to right place is a right pain - im trying to use the TB more now too - as it does well at that

cheers
dan

Upvote 0
So, just out of curiousity, for those that have used both physical and optical trackballs, what's the difference?

Physical: light notification, bulky, can get stuck, easier to use?
Optical: no light notification, it's slim...doesn't seem as easy to use as a physical, lol.
Coming from a Blackberry Bold 9000, I never once had issues with the trackball and isn't as jumpy as the optical one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones