• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

does it cost money to use PDAnet?

diowk

Aug 22, 2010
I was using PDAnet to access internet via my laptop but it seemed to good to be true so I phoned MTS and basically said "are you sure this is free?" (I have unlimited data) he told me NO. He said they are able to recognize the data is being sent to a different device and you need to subscribe for a certain package that gives you unlimited tethering. Otherwise it costs $8/Mb!!! (when I freaked out since I had already downloaded a bunch he then told me its only after a certain point ``like 60gb or something``. Seemed strange...
Now Im reading that if you root your android you get free tethering. Im so confused. Can someone clear this up for me please? Is there any way to ensure your not gonna get stuck with a $5000 bill if I decide to try tethering?

I was using PDAnet to access internet via my laptop but it seemed to good to be true so I phoned MTS and basically said "are you sure this is free?" (I have unlimited data) he told me NO. He said they are able to recognize the data is being sent to a different device and you need to subscribe for a certain package that gives you unlimited tethering. Otherwise it costs $8/Mb!!! (when I freaked out since I had already downloaded a bunch he then told me its only after a certain point ``like 60gb or something``. Seemed strange...
Now Im reading that if you root your android you get free tethering. Im so confused. Can someone clear this up for me please? Is there any way to ensure your not gonna get stuck with a $5000 bill if I decide to try tethering?

What service provider are you with?

Upvote 0
First of all You never ask your service provider. They will always say pay us more and they may have you flagged now. Bottom line watch your data usage. Don't go to far over the typical 5GB limits and You will be fine. You start trying to archive the freaking internet and you are boned. I use It to watch Netflix movies but not more than about 3 per month.

Upvote 0
Bottom line watch your data usage. Don't go to far over the typical 5GB limits and You will be fine. You start trying to archive the freaking internet and you are boned. I use It to watch Netflix movies but not more than about 3 per month.

Exactly. Use it for email and web browsing. Don't stream music, don't go crazy.

Asking forgiveness is always easier than asking permission.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones