• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the first 10% of the battery drain quicker than the rest

I have an observation I've made about doing this "extra charge" where you shut off the phone and charge more.

Seems to me that, if I turn on the phone again, after it's finished the 2nd charge, but still leave it plugged in, it drains down to the point where it was before that 2nd charge.

In other words, I charge with the phone on, unplug, power phone off, charge until it's green, turn on the phone, leave it plugged in for a while, unplug and I drop to 96% pretty quickly.

If I don't turn on the phone again until I take it off, it seems to hold the 100% longer.

Anyone notice this?

Upvote 0
I have an observation I've made about doing this "extra charge" where you shut off the phone and charge more.

Seems to me that, if I turn on the phone again, after it's finished the 2nd charge, but still leave it plugged in, it drains down to the point where it was before that 2nd charge.

In other words, I charge with the phone on, unplug, power phone off, charge until it's green, turn on the phone, leave it plugged in for a while, unplug and I drop to 96% pretty quickly.

If I don't turn on the phone again until I take it off, it seems to hold the 100% longer.

Anyone notice this?

+1

I have noticed this the past few mornings and have had to ask WTF?

This whole battery charging thing, we we need some kind of a bizarre conversion chart and multiple techniques, is for the birds. HTC needs to fix this in short order. I can't believe in 2010 we have to trick the phone into charging the battery completely.

If I hadn't purchased the Seidio Innocase II I would go on eBay and buy a cheap wall charger for it so I could have it charged correctly. But, then I'd have to shut it down and take the case and battery door off every day, which I'm not to interested in either, so I'll choose the lesser of two evils and rely on the bizarre conversion chart to charge my battery... :thinking:

Upvote 0
This is a well discussed issue. The last 10 pct can only be charged by turning off ur phone, remove the power for 5 seconds replace power plug. It will charge for about 30 min. Rinse wash repeat 2 more times. Power on. Then ur first 10pct will last a long time.

Where is this being "well discussed." I see a lot of other posts referring to battery life but not this specific issue.

Upvote 0
Has anyone taken a multi meter to the battery after the initial charge? It shows what is pos/neg on the battery. If not ill check in the morning and see what it says before and after the turn it off and charge again trick. This will tell if its doing anything.
Please post your results.

This sounds like it might provide some interesting data.

Upvote 0
I didnt get a chance to do it myself but i did find some info online where someone had already done it. A 3.7 volt lipo battery should be close to 4.2volts when fully charged. . So in essence it shows that its true that the battery light is cumming on at only a 90% charge. Hopefully they can fix this with a software update. I also want to note that if you have the battery out and in a charger it will get a better charge

here are his results.
Measuring the actual voltage at the terminals let's you see the approximate state of the battery's remaining charge, using the rule of thumb guide (for Lithium Cobalt Polymer chemistry):
4.2 volts 100%
4.1 about 90%
4.0 about 80%
3.9 about 60%
3.8 about 40%
3.7 about 20%
3.6 empty​
Full Discharge State: 3.55V // 3.52V // 3.51V
After30 mins of AC charger: 3.82V // 3.80V // 3.79V
After 60 mins of AC charger: 3.96V // 3.95V // 3.93V
After 90 mins of AC charger: 4.15V // 4.13V // 4.11V
After 160 mins of AC charger: 4.16V // 4.14V // 4.12V green light comes on
After 180 mins of AC charger: 4.18V // 4.16V // 4.14V

also Here is the thread if anyone wants to take a peak.

HTC incredible -- battery

Upvote 0
When the charge started it was at 4% on the phone. When it said a 100% is when it was at 4.16. Then turning off the phone and charging more is when it goes to 4.18v. at a 100% charge.

I will do my own test tonight if i can kill the phone. That shouldnt be a problem since i just got it thursday. Ill update with a new thread.

Upvote 0
When the charge started it was at 4% on the phone. When it said a 100% is when it was at 4.16. Then turning off the phone and charging more is when it goes to 4.18v. at a 100% charge.

I will do my own test tonight if i can kill the phone. That shouldnt be a problem since i just got it thursday. Ill update with a new thread.
please dont, we dont need more battery threads...plenty of others to post your results in and compare to others that have given their results in the threads

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones