• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the S9 not support specific Headphone Jack standards?

Myronas

Lurker
Aug 17, 2016
Hello,

I have a Galaxy S9, headphone jack works fine but I ran into something interesting today. I found my old old wired pair that somehow hasn't got its left earphone inaudible, literally the only pair that has lasted THIS long. But for some reason, it does not work with my Galaxy S9. At first I thought that the pair was dead but I plugged into my computer and it's absolutely fine. So what gives?

Here is a picture of the headphone jack.
20190730_175209.jpg

I'm not really sure what's going on... I tried looking up wiring of a 4-pin headphone jack but I am not sure if there are different standards that have the 4pin jack in common but vary in wiring. Not really experienced in the audio field too much. I am guessing I can solve this issue through a wonderful adapter? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Well the common industry standard is for three contact plugs -- ground, left channel, right channel. It's not a matter where your four contact plug is rare, they're pretty common, that fourth contact might be for a sub-woofer if it's just an audio thing, or like with Apple there's some proprietary function that involves that extra contact.
If you go to this Wikipedia page you'll see various plugs with descriptions and some photos with jacks and their corresponding plugs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
The point being your S9 is using the common standard plug, ground, left channel, right channel, so a a typical plug will have also have three metal bands that match up with the three metal contacts in the jack. When you're plugging in your four contact plug, those metal contacts don't match up.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I thought so... The fourth pin is actually a microphone in my case, and my S9 does support a fourth pin so really IT SHOULD work. I have a similar pair except it's a headset and it works fine.
Well... I got it working anyway, I got tricked by Samsung software -_- For WHATEVER reason, as soon as you plug in a 4-pin jack, the phone MUTES it self... and as soon as you unplug and plug a normal 3pin jack, it UNMUTES on it's own and starts playing... Why Samsung, why? Either way as soon as I noticed this little quirk I unmuted it and now it plays fine. Thanks for the help anyway!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones