• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does your car charger charge your 3D? (please verify before answering poll)

Does your car charger charge your 3D? Please verify this before answering poll.

• Yes, mine works fine

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • Yes, but it charges very slowly

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No, I get no charge at all

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
This is interesting, that is the same charger I have and the same one they pulled off the wall and tried on my phone and another. Starting to wonder if this is a phone issue.

My guess would be the current that the cables pass through. I have a bluetooth earpiece charger (microUSB) that won't charge phones. But my phone wall adapters charge the earpiece without a problem. I've always assume the earpiece charger had a current limiting circuit, so the phones would pull too much current and the wall charger shuts itself down.

If a charger doesn't have anything to limit the current and the device pulls more current than the charger's transformers are rated to push, at the very least, you're going to get a lot of heat. More likely, especially with repeated/extended use, component failure.

^This.

SamuraiBigEd, others are using the charger causing you grief without issue, it seems.

I'd start to be suspicious of that cable in your shoes - yes, could be the phone, but I start with the simple things. They mass produce these cables like spaghetti and the packaging costs more than the product anymore - so - it's easy to get marginal ones that cause no end of trouble.

(on the USB charging option in the ##data# view)

Out of curiosity, why would this be unchecked?

Tier 3 support couldn't figure out what it really did. It can't be saved when checked that they could see. One of them opined that it might have to do with some sort of charger difference, so I tossed it out here as wag - but I'd bet it's nothing but a holdover and does nothing.

Reactions: SamuraiBigEd
Upvote 0
^This.

SamuraiBigEd, others are using the charger causing you grief without issue, it seems.

I'd start to be suspicious of that cable in your shoes - yes, could be the phone, but I start with the simple things. They mass produce these cables like spaghetti and the packaging costs more than the product anymore - so - it's easy to get marginal ones that cause no end of trouble.

I would be inclined to think charger, but three different new chargers (including an identical unit) were also tried and the results were duplicated with a Sprint employees phone. Guess I'll chalk this up to one of the myriad problems HTC has that affect one phone and not another.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones