• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Downgrade 2.3.4 Gingerbread to 2.3.3 to prepare for root

Well, now that I've gone through the latest method, I'm actually glad for the experience. I now know some adb commands, much as I've attempted to not learn them. When my phone froze during boot this last time, I was like "adb reboot recovery, b***h!" No need to remove battery, etc. It was awesome.

:D

i think manipulating the phone thru a command window is fun,once you get into a lil bit. im glad you had a positive experinece- that is honestly the responce i hope to get from guides that i write :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
i tried it twice as instructed and it wont work. I downloaded the zip from a third party but didnt put it in the root folder with the rest of the "HACK" because it did say to. I followed it as you told us to but nothing. It reboots in 2.3.4 and nothing changes. Scared me for a sec because it was stuck n a black and white HTC for over a min. WHOA. "That made my Bunghole pucker a bit" But a little help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks tried to upload all 4 shots of the CMD prompt but it wouldnt upload 2 or 3 so there are 1 and 4 of the process. REMEMBER i did it twice.

Upvote 0
I don't see any images.

i dont see any images,either. and for what its worth,you dont need to upload images. just copy the cmd window(right click,mark,highlight in white,hit enter) and then paste it here. in an advanced reply,the " # " will get you code tags that will make the code a lil easier to read,but thats not too big a deal.

i tried it twice as instructed and it wont work. I downloaded the zip from a third party but didnt put it in the root folder with the rest of the "HACK" because it did say to. I followed it as you told us to but nothing. It reboots in 2.3.4 and nothing changes. Scared me for a sec because it was stuck n a black and white HTC for over a min. WHOA. "That made my Bunghole pucker a bit" But a little help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks tried to upload all 4 shots of the CMD prompt but it wouldnt upload 2 or 3 so there are 1 and 4 of the process. REMEMBER i did it twice.

if your on the latest OTA (6.01.605.5) then the tool in the first post will not work,as it is using zergrush,wich has since been patched. that may be source of your fustrations ;)

if you are on 6.01.605.5,then use this guide: http://androidforums.com/incredible...y-downgrade-firmware-build-6-01-605-05-a.html

you can either unlock with htcdev to gain root access to downgrade,or you can use taco root,both methods are explained.

unfortuately,i cant offer anything more than that, as there are alot of details missing and alot of reasons that tools and exploits can fail.

if you dont want to try the lnked guide,start over with whatever process youre using,and then copy/paste the cmd window so we can see your inputs and the resulting errors/outputs and we will see what we can do :)

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I'm trying to downgrade my DINC2 from Gingerbread 2.3.4 to 2.3.3 so I can root it. I've followed the instructions as given but my phone is still showing to be on 2.3.4. I've tried doing it with both Windows XP without admin rights (I don't have access to the password) and on Windows 7 with admin rights. Both times I get this error message:

C:\android\vwhk-12102011-c>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
/data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied

Do I need to do a factory reset on the phone so I can downgrade the Gingerbread version?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to downgrade my DINC2 from Gingerbread 2.3.4 to 2.3.3 so I can root it. I've followed the instructions as given but my phone is still showing to be on 2.3.4. I've tried doing it with both Windows XP without admin rights (I don't have access to the password) and on Windows 7 with admin rights. Both times I get this error message:

C:\android\vwhk-12102011-c>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'

Do I need to do a factory reset on the phone so I can downgrade the Gingerbread version?

Thanks.

Read post #132 ;)

Upvote 0
I have tried for 4 hours now and so many different tutorials I can't get root on my inc2. God damn you Verizon I wouldn't even be doing this if you wouldn't be screwing us customers and giving us god damn ICS, it's been out a year!

Read the post above yours. Then read post 132 ;)

That guide will work,I promise. The htcdev guide in post 2 is a lil more straightforward, the taco root temp root is a little trickier.

Upvote 0
Read the post above yours. Then read post 132 ;)

That guide will work,I promise. The htcdev guide in post 2 is a lil more straightforward, the taco root temp root is a little trickier.

I did this is rehash of a method I tried 4 hours ago. In the future I will get a motorolla or maybe even an apple. With Pete's tools I rooted that moto in 3 minutes, 5 hours later an no go with this piece of junk. I am tech savvy I work on my own computers but this has stumped me to no avail. I installed the zip files to c folder named android click on them and they disappear so fast I can't even read them. If XDA didn't charge $30 for one click root I would try it. 30 bucks is ridiculous when most things in google play are 6 bucks.

I just wish someone could do a literal step by step walk through because the vids on YT leave stuff out or assume you know steps and not everything is covered in any of these tutorials.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
:thinking: Team, Here what I get after adb devices sees my device... I have done this many times... with no luck.. Any IDEAS? Still At version 2.3.4 software 6.04.605.07 710RD on Incredible 2

C:\Android>hack-vivow.cmd

C:\Android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\adb.exe copy tools\win\adb.exe C:\Windows

C:\Android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinApi.dll copy tools\win\AdbWinApi.dll
C:\Windows

C:\Android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinUsbApi.dll copy tools\win\AdbWinUsbA
pi.dll C:\Windows

C:\Android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\fastboot.exe copy tools\win\fastboot.exe C
:\Windows

C:\Android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\sleep.exe copy tools\win\sleep.exe C:\Wind
ows

C:\Android>adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*

C:\Android>adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
1515 KB/s (21215 bytes in 0.013s)

C:\Android>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
1583 KB/s (15837 bytes in 0.009s)

C:\Android>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush

C:\Android>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version

C:\Android>adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00017118
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !

C:\Android>echo Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts on the device....
Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts on the device....

C:\Android>sleep 10

C:\Android>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18
.605.3'

C:\Android>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Android>fastboot oem rebootRUU
< waiting for device >
... OKAY [ 0.163s]
finished. total time: 0.169s

C:\Android>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))
finished. total time: 0.005s

C:\Android>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra
dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
< waiting for device >
sending 'zip' (292817 KB)... OKAY [ 59.782s]
writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
mage...
INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 65.591s

C:\Android>fastboot reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.157s
C:\Android>

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Upvote 0
Hey
Thanks for the guide. I did this on my DINC2 and it worked; Im back at 2.3.3 with Hoff & root access but having a couple problems.
1) Anytime I access an app that requires root access, it freezes upon checking.
2) Im stuck at 2.3.3. I go to "Update Software" and it won't update. Do I need to download 2.3.4 and flash that one over?

Thanks for ur time, peeps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones