• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downgrading data plan on AT&T to use with N1?

So when looking at buying the Nexus 1 for use on AT&T, I thought about the fact that AT&T offers an unlimited $15/month data plan to non-smart phones (e.g., the Samsung Solstice).

Would it be possible to buy some crappy phone that would allow me to buy their $15/month unlimited data plan, get rid of the crappy phone, and use the Edge only data on the Nexus 1?

hey O'm new here. I'm switching soon. to answer your Q yes, I've had that $15 unlimited for years on many unlocked phones. ATT has never done anything about it. There is a note on the paper bill that says... If you get caught doing this on a "smart" phone the can retroactively bill you up on it. Thing is if you want text that's another $9.99 unlimited. Still cheaper in the long run. I even tethered with it for a month when my neighbor moved and took his router with him. Nothing happened to my bill. ATT website lets you add or subtract any service you want without a phone call or going to the store. All you need is the SIM and an account. I really want to buy this new phone. I just don't want TMO. I'm thinking about doing it. My other HTC just broke a few weeks ago.

Upvote 0
im another one on this boat....

i currently am on a family plan with 4 lines and unlimited txting.

2 of the lines (mine) is a berry plan.

it would be nice to drop my line to the 10.00 a month for the line and then the data. my bill will go down roughly 80.00 a month if i was able to do this.

i use roughly 400-700mb a month with my berry without tethering. so i dunno if thats plausible to hide in the shadows with the 15.00 a month dumbphone plan

Upvote 0
I'd be nervous to, couple months of that might trigger something.

im really hoping that they do have something in the pipes for att as far as 3g frequencies. i really dont mind paying for my data. i would keep my berry plan active and just bounce between the two devices (i have withdrawal every time i dont have a berry, lol)

but if i can only have an edge nexus then i am going to be kinda sad paying for all that when i cant use much of it.

on the brighter side, the fact this will use edge may keep the data usage in check. i have noticed the last month that my itemized data usage went down since i have been using my berry on wifi...so that could also help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones