• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 3 Early Upgrade Petition

DeadChex

Sep 11, 2011
THIS THREAD IS DEAD. LET IT DIE.

With the Droid 3 Being the "outdated" in 5 Months and 1 day, By a phone that many people think the Droid 3 Should been. Many people are outraged by this, and feel they have been cheated. If you feel you have been, A fellow Droid 3 Owner has created a Petition for us to get Early Upgrade/Discounts towards the new Droid 4.

The petition is located at... Petition: Droid 3 Owners for Early Upgrades | Change.org

If you don't think it will do any good, Look at the phones that now have Unlocked bootloaders because the Community spoke out.

Agree or Disagree, Sign or Don't sign... I didn't post this to be flamed and trolled by how "stupid" this is. Post constructive things or don't post at all.

(This comes from the folks at XDA)

I got two for $56 from Verizon 2 cases, 2 car chargers, and 2 $100 gift cards for my two old LG Chocolates. (one didn't even turn on anymore from washing machine incident)

The Droid 3 is a great phone.

Cheated? No way.

Thats a pretty specific example and regardless he is talking about the people who paid $200 for 1 phone. Hell, my Droid is still going strong whereas my Droid3 became unusable within 6 months...

Upvote 0
i dont exactly know what you mean by "cheated." i get that the processor will be a little bit faster, and it's 4g, but all in all i spend a lot of time of wifi anyways.

if you wanted a 4g phone you should have waited or bought a used phone to get you through until a new one comes out. besides what innovations will they add into the droid 5? quad core? 2gb memory? i mean get real, technology advances quickly just because your stuff isnt top of the line doesnt mean it doesnt work fine.

Reactions: TyrannoTaurus
Upvote 0
My early upgrade will be when I finally root it and drop ICS on it. Then we'll see those dual core babies scream! :)

I signed to show some support, but I don't feel cheated. I absolutely love this phone and think it has plenty of horsepower to help me along another year an a half. LTE would've been nice, but I like my battery life as it is.

Putting a custom ROM on it let me make everything just how I wanted, and ICS is just around the corner thanks to the likes of the Hashcode geniuses. Long live the D3!

Upvote 0
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think they'll give us new phones. Its worth a try though. I don't think I was cheated with the release of a newer and better phone a week later, but I feel like I was ripped off. After about a week, my phone would randomly shut off, the led notification light would blink for no reason constantly, the screen became unresponsive, and the battery charger wouldn't recharge the phone's battery. I called the store, and they tried to give me the run around, and 3 visits later, I just gave up. Cheated out of $200, highly believeable

Upvote 0
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think they'll give us new phones.>

They will be glad to if we pay full retail for the new phones, but otherwise I am pretty sure you are right.

We should petition them to unlock the Droid3 bootloader instead of begging them for another locked phone. We could then take care of ourselves.

The Droid3 is a better phone than the Droid4 already anyway, mainly because of battery life and accessabilty issues, I think. Even with just 3G I blow through 2 gigs of data easily each month streaming music now and then. LTE, even though it is available here in RTP, NC, is not a benefit given current battery tech that is available. And it is trivial to "overclock" my Droid3 to 1.2 GHz, without even changing the voltage (harder to do with locked kernal). So, what is the point ?

Glenn

Upvote 0
Really? They will not give us all new phones. I previously owned a Droid Eris, which was admitted to me by a Verizon Rep that it had to be the absolute biggest piece of crap ever sold by Verizon, and it was acknowledged numerous times to the employees to be just one big malfunction. None of the Eris owners were offered an upgrade to a higher quality phone. No early upgrade offered, other than what was offered by the contract. I had that phone replaced 6 times with "refurbished", and never found one that worked properly.

Upvote 0
I'm probably going to GET a Droid 3 in a few weeks. Global capable which I need, dual core, full qwerty, nice screen, and FREE from Newegg plus I get a free car dock AND a free desktop dock. I will in no way feel cheated. The D4 is a very very limited upgrade from the D3 IMHO and if you live in a 4G area or an area about to get 4G you should not have got the D3 in the first place anyway. Oh, I'll also take the D3 for the removable battery instead of an integrated one where I can't pull it if my phone goes nuts or get 2 or 3 spares to rotate through an external charger and swap while I'm on the road.

These things are not phones people, they are computers and we all know that the minute you slap down your money for a computer, even a pre-order, you are buying a severely outdated piece of technology. Get used to it and deal with it. If you are the sort of person who is OCD about always having the latest/greatest thing then have fun spending $600 every 4-6 months as the manufacturers continue to try to outdo each other with quad cores, true HD screens (stupid on a 4" screen but w/e), next gen 4G radios and enough bells/whistles to kill a midget.

Upvote 0
Really? They will not give us all new phones. I previously owned a Droid Eris, which was admitted to me by a Verizon Rep that it had to be the absolute biggest piece of crap ever sold by Verizon, and it was acknowledged numerous times to the employees to be just one big malfunction. None of the Eris owners were offered an upgrade to a higher quality phone. No early upgrade offered, other than what was offered by the contract. I had that phone replaced 6 times with "refurbished", and never found one that worked properly.

No way! We all know that the Blackberry Storm 1 was the biggest piece of crap ever sold by Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones