• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 3 wifi issues

I have a Droid 3 with latest system updates. I am having a problem with my wifi connection. The wifi kicks in and out. I have a Netgear wireless N (WNR2000) Router and even when I am trying to access the market or the internet It says "No Connection" do I have to access my router and change some settings? Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated cuz it just seems like the wifi option on my phone is useless...:thinking:

Usually you don't need to configure anything on your wifi router. If you're connecting then disconnecting, you at least know you're able to get on and it's not password related. It could be a bad router.
There could be a few things to check first. How close are you to the router? Is there interference from other wifi networks?
I use Wifi Analyzer (free app in the Market) to see my network on my D3. I usually want my signal to chill on it's own channel rather than on a crowded channel. Usually you want channel 1, 6, or 11 (hard to explain why), but those are the magic channels.
If you want a little more technical tweaks, try this. You shouldn't use 40MHz channel width on the router. Stick with 20MHz since it plays nice with others.

I have a Dlink DIR-615 at work that fades in and out on me. But it's the dang router. Cause same thing happens on my original Droid. Wifi Analyzer shows the signal turn on and off. It's the strangest thing! Meanwhile, it works fine on laptops. Go figure.

Upvote 0
CyberWinter

I have the same problem with my Motorola Droid 3 and a DIR 600 Router, everytime i try to conect my cellphone to the router, the router becomes crazy and stop sending a Wi-Fi signal, then all devices conected to the router lost conection, and the only way to get it back online is to reset the Router.

Ive changed the password 3 times and everytime i try to conect my Droid 3, the router becomes crazy. I also have a Droid 1 that is ABLE to conect, is there something i could try to fix it?

Upvote 0
CyberWinter

I have the same problem with my Motorola Droid 3 and a DIR 600 Router, everytime i try to conect my cellphone to the router, the router becomes crazy and stop sending a Wi-Fi signal, then all devices conected to the router lost conection, and the only way to get it back online is to reset the Router.

Ive changed the password 3 times and everytime i try to conect my Droid 3, the router becomes crazy. I also have a Droid 1 that is ABLE to conect, is there something i could try to fix it?

This is an old router. A few things:

- Is the router at the latest firmware version? Or, better asked, what firmware version is it?

- What are the settings for the radio? 802.11n only? 802.11 b/g/n? 802.11 g only? Also, which channel(s)?

- What are the security settings - WEP, WPA or WPA2? If WPA, is it set to TKIP and AES, just TKIP, or just AES?

I wouldn't mess around with too many settings - just do things one at a time, so you know what fixed it, but if I were going to change things, I'd do it in this order:

- Firmware, if the version is old.

- If you have WPA set with TKIP and AES, try changing to just TKIP, or just AES, in that order

- Whatever your 802.11 mode settings are, try changing to b/g/n, then g only, and then n and g.

Upvote 0
You can fix the wifi problems with your droid and razor phone by going
into your router and setting it to enable quality of service monitoring.
Enter your router by typing the address 192.168.1.1.Log in using the
default username and password for the router . You can find this by doing a search online or it is usually on the bottom of the router.
Once you have logged in you can change the Qos settings to enabled.
This allows the router to buffer the information sent to the phones
wifi during the periods when the phone goes in and out of battery
saving mode which it does constantly. This is why sometimes this problem
can be fixed by using the performance mode on the battery because it
reduces the on and off of the wifi chip. The qos settings will let you use
your battery saver mode and still have good connectivity.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to try changing that setting on my router. I have a similar issue, but only when I'm on the wi-fi at my house. The phone will show that it's connected to the wifi signal, but the icon will be white not blue and will always come up saying no connection. Then out of the blue it will start working. I tried resetting my router once and it started working for a couple hours then went back to the same thing where it would show a white icon for wi-fi connection and not connect. My laptop always stays connected and has never had a problem on the same router.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to try changing that setting on my router. I have a similar issue, but only when I'm on the wi-fi at my house. The phone will show that it's connected to the wifi signal, but the icon will be white not blue and will always come up saying no connection. Then out of the blue it will start working. I tried resetting my router once and it started working for a couple hours then went back to the same thing where it would show a white icon for wi-fi connection and not connect. My laptop always stays connected and has never had a problem on the same router.

White doesn't always mean that the phone doesn't have a valid connection - it is white when you are not authenticated to Google's servers, which occasionally happens when the servers are down. However, remember that your laptop has a much larger antenna than the Droid 3, so the D3 may be on the edge of a good enough signal (and, therefore, occasionally disconnecting and reconnecting) while the laptop holds the signal solid.

Upvote 0
White doesn't always mean that the phone doesn't have a valid connection - it is white when you are not authenticated to Google's servers, which occasionally happens when the servers are down. However, remember that your laptop has a much larger antenna than the Droid 3, so the D3 may be on the edge of a good enough signal (and, therefore, occasionally disconnecting and reconnecting) while the laptop holds the signal solid.
When I'm in my room where my router is I'm never more than 15' away from the router so I doubt it's a weak signal problem. And only seems to happen on the wifi in my room. I can go my my inlaws house with a cheap motorlola router and get a good signal from 30-40' away through walls and never drop it.

Going to play with my router settings and see if I can fix it.

Upvote 0
Forgot to sub to this thread and didn't check it.
Anyway, I still get this issue. I'm on WPA2 with TKIP & AES and Mixed Modes B,G, N. Latest firmware 2.25. The channels I'm on are ones with least crowd. I've tried mixing things around but same thing happens (change channels, try only B or G or N, change WPA, etc as suggested). After I download like 2 podcasts, the wifi indicator up top turns white instead of blue and fails to connect. I'd have to turn wifi off and back on to get another few minutes use. Then fails again, sometimes while in mid download. I'm standing next to the dang thing too! It's the strangest thing.

I failed to mention, I have a dir-655 at home without these issues (it has other issues, but that's another topic). It's gotta be something with this dir-615. I mean, the dang date changes on me! Same happens to my Droid 1 on this 615. I started to dislike dlink.

I'll try that app "FXR WiFi fix and rescue" and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Well just for the heck of it, I flipped the 615 to AES only and it still does it. I tried to watch a 2 min youtube and in two occasions (once within 30 seconds and once 1 min), it just stops streaming and the wifi stops downloading. Wifi Analyzer shows the signal is strong, and have a connection. My wifi indicator also shows a "blue" strong signal, yet can't get online even with browser.

I used "FXR WiFi fix and rescue" and that didn't help. It's gotta be this stupid router. Yet works perfectly with laptops. It hates Droids (TM), lol.

I'll fiddle with it some more.

Upvote 0
I have used multiple DIR655's, a NetGear N RangeMax of some kind, a TwinkSys N Ultra Range Plus and an old Belkin N, in various settings.

All work with the Droid3 using WPA2-PSK keys and 40wide N-only, though the LinkSys/Cisco one sometimes seems to drop connections through to the cable modem for periods intermittantly and the Belkin sometimes seems to overheat a bit maybe and require a reset. The DIR655's reliably give the best range, best through-put on the internal LAN and continuous up-time (as in they never fail at all during months of continuous use.)

I also, for a while a year or so ago, used a couple of 615's like you mention. They were horrible. One actually just failed out-right, after a few weeks of normal use and its replacement started failing intermittently to be able to keep connections with ANY device (Intel laptop wifi chips mainly) I connected it to. The first one failed due to hardware failure, would no longer even power up. The second one worked at my mom's house for a few months, dropping connections now and then, and then its radio failed too. They suck.

Throw any 615's you have away and get something else, is my advice.

Upvote 0
I know this is a few years late lol but these devices are still around and when you get tired of carting around a giant phone you may want to use that phone again. I bet if you are a droid 3 owner like me you loved having a smart phone with a slider keypad. Then one day the WiFi and Bluetooth just stated crapping out. Well this a very difficult problem to troubleshoot because it has to do with the location of the antenna vs the external SD card. You see, the antenna is behind a very flimsy cover located directly under the SD card slot. If you remove or replace your external SD card. You can easily deform (push in) that antenna cover. It will touch the the antenna and it doesn't like that. Just pry it back out a little and fixed. If you have one you know that the SD card slot is difficult in the first place. Enjoy your droid again. Maybe you can use it for a dedicated house remot like me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones