• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I think I will stick with non-physical kb phones as they are lighter and I'm doing OK with SwiftKey and Kii. Never thought I'd say that but I really thought the (Moto) kb phones were long gone.

I loved my Treo phones. I would carry a brick if it had decent battery life. Maybe I should go to a shoulder holster?

Swype is awesome but sometimes frustrating. I will try out SwiftKey and Kii, maybe they are better? Nothing will ever beat a physical keyboard IMHO.

Upvote 0
I had the D3 and wanted another keyboard capable phone, but something more modern than a D4. I gave up waiting for one and "settled" for the Galaxy S4. I really like that phone, it's great, but at times, I do miss the physical keyboard. Who knows, when my S4 contract is up in ~23 months and there's a Droid 6 or something, maybe I'll go back to a keyboard phone. I'd be curious as to what the D5's specs will be, if indeed that comes to fruition. If it's a holiday 2013 phone, it better have 2 GB RAM, 16+ GB internal storage, quad core processor, 4.7+" (screen, etc. And of course, expandable storage!

Upvote 0
I'd be curious as to what the D5's specs will be, if indeed that comes to fruition. If it's a holiday 2013 phone, it better have 2 GB RAM, 16+ GB internal storage, quad core processor, 4.7+" (screen, etc. And of course, expandable storage!
IIRC, the D4 was upper mid-tier specs when it was released. Not a bad phone by any means but not right up there with the big boys either. It's selling point was the physical KB. I loved mine, it was such an improvement over the D3 and really a rock solid phone. But it wasn't the most kick-ass thing out there spec wise. The D5 will probably be the same type of deal. Decent, but not truly wow, with a KB.
I really did like that phone though, sub-par specs or not :)

Upvote 0
IIRC, the D4 was upper mid-tier specs when it was released. Not a bad phone by any means but not right up there with the big boys either. It's selling point was the physical KB. I loved mine, it was such an improvement over the D3 and really a rock solid phone. But it wasn't the most kick-ass thing out there spec wise. The D5 will probably be the same type of deal. Decent, but not truly wow, with a KB.
I really did like that phone though, sub-par specs or not :)
Yes, you're right that the keyboarded Droid phones didn't offer the latest and greatest hardware. But they were priced at $100 (at least my D3 was the day it was released). If the D5 is a $100 phone, then it's acceptable to use previous generation old hardware. But if they're going to charge $200, then they better offer at least current generation hardware, if not whatever is the standard by the holiday season.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones