• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid as a Playstation 3 remote control??

It looks possible, but not easy. I did a little Googling; looks like the PS3 uses the "Human Interface Device" (HID) profile for remote controls, and Android doesn't have real HID support yet. There's an "AVRCP - Audio/Video Remote Control Profile" that Android does support, but the PS3 apparently doesn't use that.

So, to write such an application you'd need to do some native development and write your own HID implementation. I don't have time to muck with that right now. I'm learning Android development but given work and family and life, I just can't squeeze that kind of project in yet.

Upvote 0
so i can tell you it is posable as a matter of fact myself and a team are in the process of doing just this so far its a pain in the a$$ but we have made brake through we are able to communicate with the ps3 through the N1 and EVO droidx is still giving us problems so far we are able to use our androids as full keypads and limited remote functions how ever the controller is giving us some issues so with that said here are the points you need to know

yes the ps3 uses Bluetooth however it is not the same as on your phone same hardware different capability with re-programing an android ROOTED phone can link to the ps3 however the code to have full function is a real pain and Sony is not going to just give it to us

i leave you all with this the people who make apps and root are just like you we see something and wonder then say why not

as soon as we get it up we will post on all android boards with the link and will do the same to iphone boards just to piss them off

android is gods phone

Reactions: Phøenix
Upvote 0
Even if you did it wouldnt be the same as it is for the remote control all the effects and all that would not fit in a droid so i dont think an idea for an app like this would be better than the controller

If you're referring to the buttons, etc being able to fit, I don't see how this would be an issue. I can control my whole pc from my phone using a wifi remote, and although it requires switching between stuff like keyboard and mouse it all fits just fine.

+1 for ps3 remote :)

Upvote 0
So I searched and searched becau I didn't want to duplicate a thread, but didn't find anything. So here is my question.

Since the Playstation 3 uses bluetooth, the remote that you buy in stores for it is bluetooth, and our Motorola Droids are bluetooth compatible, would it be possible for someone (not me cause I don't know how) to make an app that would enable the Droid to be a bluetooth remote for the Playstation 3??

I know there are apps to turn it into a remote, but I think this requires an separate adapter or receiver. Anyways, if anyone knows if its even possible or not, please let me know. If it is possible, does anyone want to tackle this app?? I know I would be willing to pay for it, as I'm sure others might as well.

Thanks,
Nick

Since this is the first thread that comes up on Google I think you should update your post by linking to this app that lets you use your android phone as a ps3 Bluetooth remote

[APP] BlueputDroid 1.1.0 (bugfix) - xda-developers

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
good night

friends, I'm from Brazil and now comes only in our country the control system RedEye (ThinkFlood) and promised me when I bought it would be possible to use it with the Android platform.
And to my surprise it can only be configured with platform IMAC, iphone mobile, ipod, iphone and it is not possible to configure the network with the Android!
I would not want to buy imac to just set up the wifi network RedEye
Anyone that has installed this system at home?
know of a plugin to use on Android?

I wait for help

Big Hug

Anderson

Upvote 0
Bluetooth operates on 'protocols' or instructions. In order for Droid or any other bluetooth device to operate, the protocols have to be coded into the firmware. I have an HTC HD2 that had WM6.5 on it and when I connected it to my blackberry it had alot of different uses for it, when I switch it to Android, I dont have any protocols for it. Try finding a version of Android that supports that function, or see if you can get someone to code it for you in the firmware. Sorry if I couldnt help as much.

Upvote 0
Isn't HID included in Honeycomb 3.1, although wired only? You should be able to plug a PS3 controller into your USB enabled tab and get it to work natively. Would certainly be interested in using my Transformer as a PS3 keboard and/or remote.
The good news is Sony appear to be embracing Android with the introduction of Playstation Suite, maybe they could release an app? Having Droid/PS3 interactivity would be a good blow to stike against both Microsoft (XBox) and Apple (iThing). I guess the whole thing would depend on how secure they can make it. The last think Sony want is for Mr Hacker to break into the PS3.

Upvote 0
I've come up with an idea......still in the works.......that would (hopefully) allow both iPhone and Android users to control any A/V device, including the PS3 over their wifi network. Can't explain the full idea.......or someone else will be super rich......and I have to buy THEIR product. So, the idea is locked away just yet.

It would, of course take the involvement of Sony, and a company such as Logitech (for access to their Harmony archive), and some R+D. But theoretically, it should work. And this method would NOT require an Android user to root their phone, and void any warranty.

I understand there is a difference between the Sony Bluetooth stack, and typical Bluetooth functions. This is why I would need them involved. And Harmony would need to have an Android app, with perhaps different prices for different 'models' of the app ???? Or some sort of 'differentiation' of the model they are 'emulating' More expensive would allow more devices to be controlled.

Has anyone had dealings with these companies, other than just customer support.

Maybe someone knows where/how to approach this.

I am by no means a techy, and would need to round up a team. I am just an avid A/V enthusiast, who relies HEAVILY on his PS3 as a media hub, who came up with an idea that hasn't been proposed yet. At least I haven't found an idea like this yet. With a creative team, I think this idea might be the one we ALL are looking for......iPhone AND Android users.

Sony, Logitech...........call me. Or at least PM me........LOL

Upvote 0
This is an interesting thread/conversation, but I think there is quite a lot of confusion.

When referring to wired connections, I'm guessing people are referring to USB
When referring to wireless connections (or remote connections) there are IR, RF, Bluetooth and WiFi as possibilities.

A universal remote today needs to support IR at some point because many devices are still controlled only using IR. that is why Logitech have produced the IR box for the PS3 and have now produced the IR link for Android and iPhone (the reason I ended up reading this thread)

HID is the name given to any device that is used for communicating with an electronic device. Traditionally, that is a mouse or a keyboard.
Modern controllers, that may not be anything like a keyboard or a mouse, tend to use the same commands as keyboard and mouse, simply because it is available and already supported.

But...

HID over Bluetooth is not the same thing as HID over USB. HID over Bluetooth uses the same commands as HID over USB, with a little bit of extra 'stuff', so it is technically similar.

An even bigger BUT...

These classes, like HID, are based on a client server model, where one side is the client and the other end is a server. In the case of HID, it is a bit like the behaviour of a Web Browser and a Web Server. Where there are relatively simple inputs, that have relatively complex results. Click on a link in a browser and potentially unlimited amounts of code could run on the server.

So... Android (and possibly iOS) devices have HID Servers in them. This allows HID clients to connect to them. For example, I can connect a mouse or keyboard or both to my android devices and magically a mouse pointer appears on the Android display and I can then track the pointer around using my mouse or touchpad.

This is the complete opposite of what I think this topic is about. To be able to use an Android phone or tablet as an HID Client, you would need to have the client class available to you. There are a number of reasons (no access to l2CAP) that this cannot be done today.

A rooted phone could have (and has had - see androhid) a HID client added to it.

The bottom line is some bluetooth Protocols are available to apps on android and these protocols could be used to provide communication between an Android App and another device. But all of the devices we are talking about are listening for a HID device or other proprietary protocol. So until a Bluetooth HID Client Class is made available within android, this isn't going to be possible.

the closest we are going to get is the solution already proposed and being trialed in USA at the moment - a Box with a bluetooth HID Client in it, that can also communicate with an Android device.

The clever thing for Sony to do would be to add a proprietary Bluetooth protocol to the PS3 and then an App with the same protocol for Android. But other than that being cool, I don't see Sony having any reason to do that. The most liekly thing sony would do is to put it into the ROM of their own phones ONLY.

Upvote 0
This is an interesting thread/conversation, but I think there is quite a lot of confusion.

When referring to wired connections, I'm guessing people are referring to USB
When referring to wireless connections (or remote connections) there are IR, RF, Bluetooth and WiFi as possibilities.

A universal remote today needs to support IR at some point because many devices are still controlled only using IR. that is why Logitech have produced the IR box for the PS3 and have now produced the IR link for Android and iPhone (the reason I ended up reading this thread)

HID is the name given to any device that is used for communicating with an electronic device. Traditionally, that is a mouse or a keyboard.
Modern controllers, that may not be anything like a keyboard or a mouse, tend to use the same commands as keyboard and mouse, simply because it is available and already supported.

But...

HID over Bluetooth is not the same thing as HID over USB. HID over Bluetooth uses the same commands as HID over USB, with a little bit of extra 'stuff', so it is technically similar.

An even bigger BUT...

These classes, like HID, are based on a client server model, where one side is the client and the other end is a server. In the case of HID, it is a bit like the behaviour of a Web Browser and a Web Server. Where there are relatively simple inputs, that have relatively complex results. Click on a link in a browser and potentially unlimited amounts of code could run on the server.

So... Android (and possibly iOS) devices have HID Servers in them. This allows HID clients to connect to them. For example, I can connect a mouse or keyboard or both to my android devices and magically a mouse pointer appears on the Android display and I can then track the pointer around using my mouse or touchpad.

This is the complete opposite of what I think this topic is about. To be able to use an Android phone or tablet as an HID Client, you would need to have the client class available to you. There are a number of reasons (no access to l2CAP) that this cannot be done today.

A rooted phone could have (and has had - see androhid) a HID client added to it.

The bottom line is some bluetooth Protocols are available to apps on android and these protocols could be used to provide communication between an Android App and another device. But all of the devices we are talking about are listening for a HID device or other proprietary protocol. So until a Bluetooth HID Client Class is made available within android, this isn't going to be possible.

the closest we are going to get is the solution already proposed and being trialed in USA at the moment - a Box with a bluetooth HID Client in it, that can also communicate with an Android device.

The clever thing for Sony to do would be to add a proprietary Bluetooth protocol to the PS3 and then an App with the same protocol for Android. But other than that being cool, I don't see Sony having any reason to do that. The most liekly thing sony would do is to put it into the ROM of their own phones ONLY.

Are you saying that it is quite possible that with the release of a new update of Droid OS (ie Icecream Sandwich), that this could be implemented with the inclusion of the classes required for a bluetooth HID client on the Android OS ? Or is it more a case of Sony submitting the code to allow this ?

After all, if this has been coded already on the 'open source market', but only available by rooting your mobile then this is obviously a marketing ploy by Sony just waiting for the right deal to make as much cash as possible.

Do Sony not read posts on sites like this ? People want apps to make their lives easier with the gadgets they can afford to own. Making these devices incompatible with other leading tech is not the way to go.

This years Sony is last years Yahoo!!

Sony take note.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones