• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid CAN Surf the web and answer a call at the same time!

It should also be dually noted that you're not really "multi tasking" while on the droid. Just different operations really quickly. Carry on :)

Then you're doing something wrong. Last time I checked, surfing the web, WHILE Pandora streams in the background, WHILE my weather apps refresh, WHILE sportstap updates my scores, WHILE my news widget refreshes the latest headlines IS multitasking.

That other phone you may or may not be defending can't even do the first two that I listed at the same time.

Upvote 0
Then you're doing something wrong. Last time I checked, surfing the web, WHILE Pandora streams in the background, WHILE my weather apps refresh, WHILE sportstap updates my scores, WHILE my news widget refreshes the latest headlines IS multitasking.

That other phone you may or may not be defending can't even do the first two that I listed at the same time.

Oh, ...so you mean apps are able to pull data while you work within another app. I get it.

Here's a good read.

Upvote 0
By the way, if your intentions are to get me riled up about what phone I like better it won't work. That wasn't my intent, in fact it was a tongue in cheek thing and Fabolous looks to be trying to find any means possible to defend his precious Droid. I have an iphone and a Droid so you're not going to be able to catalyze anything here Fabolous.

Upvote 0
By the way, if your intentions are to get me riled up about what phone I like better it won't work. That wasn't my intent, in fact it was a tongue in cheek thing and Fabolous looks to be trying to find any means possible to defend his precious Droid. I have an iphone and a Droid so you're not going to be able to catalyze anything here Fabolous.

Not really trying to get you riled up, no. I figured since a discussion was going on I would chime in. I don't blame him for defending it though, your posts did initially have a sort of inflammatory vibe to them, whether you intended it or not.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I appreciate it.

You're quite welcome. Although I bet there's some sarcasm there.

And for those that don't understand why I called that common sense, consider this- aside from conducting a task that is visual in nature (for example web browsing) and one that is auditory (streaming Pandora), what is the point? Whether a phone can "refresh weather app" and "refresh sports scores" at the same time is irrelevant, because YOU can't see them both simultaneously.

Upvote 0
You're right. But what it does do is illustrate that it is impossible to truly multi task. Your apps are simply pulling data for you in the background. You can apply this to anything. If your attention is divided between tasks is it really multi tasking? Que flame war.

Tongue in cheek or not, this doesn't change the fact that the phone itself is actually multitasking, which is the argument at hand. Whether or not we can actually make use of it is really not the issue. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

And for those that don't understand why I called that common sense, consider this- aside from conducting a task that is visual in nature (for example web browsing) and one that is auditory (streaming Pandora), what is the point? Whether a phone can "refresh weather app" and "refresh sports scores" at the same time is irrelevant, because YOU can't see them both simultaneously.

I guess the point is you can have multiple programs running in memory at any given time. If you want to switch from the browser to a sport score app to a finance app, etc, you can, and they'll all still be in the same state you left them without having to save data, close and reopen the programs. Technically no, you can't ever really do two active tasks at the same time, but I still see it as a benefit over single-task platforms.

Upvote 0
Tongue in cheek or not, this doesn't change the fact that the phone itself is actually multitasking, which is the argument at hand. Whether or not we can actually make use of it is really not the issue. :rolleyes:

So I guess if my phone could prepare me a grilled cheese in Wisconsin, while I'm sitting here in Florida, I should still tout this feature... even though I'd go hungry while doing so.

Upvote 0

I disagree. What about the situation where you are using the phone for data recording purposes (e.g. GPS tracking) and while doing so you wanted to check something on the web, make a call, etc. Just because you can only seen one screen at a time doesn't mean that the phones multitasking capabilities are meaningless.

Allowing the phone to pull up the most recent weather update, and news update, while you are doing something else can save you time from having to wait for each individual app to load and download. You aren't multitasking, but because the phone was you saved time. Sounds pretty relevant to me.

Upvote 0
Allowing the phone to pull up the most recent weather update, and news update, while you are doing something else can save you time from having to wait for each individual app to load and download. You aren't multitasking, but because the phone was you saved time. Sounds pretty relevant to me.

You're absolutely right- and Android isn't the only OS that can do this.

Upvote 0
Where in any of my posts did I say it was?

YOU said that besides preforming an auditory task and a visual task that multitasking was irrelevant. I simply provided a few more examples to better educate you on why multitasking is a good thing.

Once again, Logic pwns you.

You didn't say that but I was under the impression there were others reading this thread beside you and myself. My mistake again.

Upvote 0
You didn't say that but I was under the impression there were others reading this thread beside you and myself. My mistake again.

Whats your point?

I mean really, what is it? You original point was that multitasking is silly since you can only see 1 screen at a time.

I'm sorry looking beyond that is difficult for you but for the others that are reading this thread I gave them a few real world examples as to why multitasking is not silly.

You'd think I poked fun at your mom the way you're coming at me. :p

Upvote 0
You're right. But what it does do is illustrate that it is impossible to truly multi task. Your apps are simply pulling data for you in the background. You can apply this to anything. If your attention is divided between tasks is it really multi tasking? Que flame war.

Not trying to rile anyone up here man, but boy did I guess right. How did I know though?

Anyways, I suppose there could be different definitions of multitasking. Yours is that you must be doing two tasks at once and physically seeing it. Well, those are quite strict guidelines, and by those, there isn't a phone in available that can do that (do you know of any with two screens for each of those tasks you're multitasking?)

As for me, if my phone is doing two things at once, that counts as multitasking. Therefore, all the examples I gave before count as multitasking.

I think you're definitely in the minority when it comes to what you consider multitasking.

In my case, Android, WebOS, RIM Blackberry OS, Symbian, Meamo all can multitask. The iPhone cannot.

In your case, none can.

Or did I misunderstand you?

Upvote 0
Whats your point?

I mean really, what is it? You original point was that multitasking is silly since you can only see 1 screen at a time.

I'm sorry looking beyond that is difficult for you but for the others that are reading this thread I gave them a few real world examples as to why multitasking is not silly.

You'd think I poked fun at your mom the way you're coming at me. :p

My point is that many, yourself included, tout multitasking as such a wonderful feature while its usefulness is arguably quite overstated. All of those scenarios you mentioned are possible in other leading operating systems as well, hence the reasoning behind my not finding this "multitasking" to be as big a deal.

Upvote 0
All of those scenarios you mentioned are possible in other leading operating systems as well, hence the reasoning behind my not finding this "multitasking" to be as big a deal.

You're right, with the exception of one major smartphone operating system, all of them do support multitasking, so that in itself is not the big issue.

I suppose it comes down to how efficiently and elegantly the operating system handles all these multiple tasks.

As for you, you're using Android, so you must be satisfied with the way it does so, right?

So really, what's the argument here?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones