• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Pro vs Droid 3

adam355

Nov 10, 2009
I need to purchase a lot of phones for my employees very soon and am trying to give them one choice that has a keyboard. I was originally going to go with the droid pro but it just seems like its so old now. Everyone currently has bb tours so having a similar form factor is a huge plus. But it would also be nice to have a dual core phone so the chances of these phones getting icecream sandwich someday would be nice. Obviously the chances of that happening for the pro are very slim. What pros and cons do you see these two phones having over each other?

I replied to your other post on the other thread:
Your kinda thread jacking here, but like i said we need the activity on these threads so its all good. So I might be the perfect guy to talk to about phone comparisons, I bought the droid pro the day it came out and since then i have had an X2 which has a dual core, an Iphone, a thunderbolt which is LTE, and also a windows 7 phone. So i have had a spectrum of the newer phones. The phone Im currently using is still the Pro. The cpu is still 1ghz so its not too bad it will match most of the phones still being made. Here is the pros and cons:

Pros:
The phone is small not bulky, nice weight to me
Battery life is amazing, on medium use I have been pulling atleast 20 hours a day
Keyboard- Of course this is the reason why people buy it, but its a great keyboard
World Phone- Doesnt help me too much but its a good thing to have in case
The update for gingerbread is out, it was out before the X2 got its update

Cons:
Screen is smaller then most, using it as an E-Reader or reading alot of documents might be rough
it might just be the update but the camera app is kinda sluggish and glitchy

Here is my bottom line, this is what blackberry should be like, its got a great keyboard and touch screen, the bigger app support is the key, blackberry is dying there. And up against the dual core, the x2 was nice the benchmark scores were great, but it honestly didnt seem like it was double the speed of the phones. It just didnt seem worth it too me. I have decided to stick with the pro, I chose the keyboard because I use it ALOT, over the dual core, or LTE because those things are nice but the overall experience is better with the PRO in my opinion.

But PS when upagainst the Droid 3, I would say the HDMI mirroring would be nice, I have had the droid 1 and the droid 2 and I thought that they were solid phones, the only downside is the keyboard is like hidden away into the phone, ever time you need it you will have to do further work to get it out, but thats not really a big deal I think that MOTO has dropped the ball in not making it a LTE phone, if it had that it would be the perfect phone i think. Ill be getting it shortly so Ill reply on here about that soon enough lol

Upvote 0
I've had the Droid 3 for the past week and a half. I had the Droid Pro for seven months prior to that.

Today, I returned the Droid 3 and went back to the Droid Pro.

The Droid 3 is a very good phone, but it's a little too buggy for what I need it to be right now. I, and many other users, experienced many problems - multiple random reboots a day, horrible battery life (even with the extended battery and all the knowledge of 6 years of smartphones (2 years of Android phones) behind me for knowing how to tweak the settings and what to look out for), and a few other random issues. Also, their talk of an "improved" camera is hogwash. The pictures don't look any better than the X/X2 and only marginally better than the Pro in most situations.

Then there's also the form factor. I like phones with larger screens. I loved the Droid X that I had for six months. But I'm a physical keyboard person, so the Droid 3 seemed nearly perfect for me. The screen is a good size, and the keyboard is phenomenal. But it quickly became apparent to me that I liked the form factor of the Pro much better from a usability standpoint right now. This is just personal preference of course, and I would have gotten used to the Droid 3 (I had the original Droid and a Touch Pro 2 with landscape keyboards, so I wasn't inexperienced with them), but the Droid Pro just flows so much better for my everyday uses from a physical standpoint. Sure I'd like a bigger screen, but that's not the end of the world. That will probably change as my primary needs for the phone change, but right now from a business stand point, the Pro meets my needs much better than the Droid 3.

The Droid 3 is extremely quick and responsive (although not all that much more than the Pro), and the new version of Blur is the least offensive yet, but there are still several issues that need to be ironed out. Motorola has acknowledged the reboots and battery drain issues on their support forums, so I'm sure a fix in the works. I liked the phone, and I really wanted to love it, but honestly at this point it didn't provide the significant leap forward from the Pro that I was hoping it would. Then add to that all of the problems I had (which again are all fairly widespread from reading various Android/tech forums), and I was wanting my Droid Pro back. I'd be willing to revisit the Droid 3 after most of the problems are worked out, but by then I'm sure there will be something new and better. For now I'm glad I went back to the Pro.

Reactions: newell2511
Upvote 0
Im glad you posted this thread cuz I was actually about to post a similar one myself. I have been using the droid pro for the past four months. Was actually given to me by a friend because they didn't like it.

Im due for an upgrade and kind of looking towards the droid 3. I've went in the Verizon stores and played with one. But I've gotta say a very huge drawback to me is the form factor. Even with the extended battery in my droid pro it is small sleek and very pocketable. The droid 3 on the other hand is massive and I just don't know if I can deal with that day to day.

The second drawback is the lack of 4g for me. Im not saying I need 4g right now. Cuz my area doesn't even have it right now. But if im going to be stuck with a phone for the next year then I don't want to be surprised in the next six months by 4g popping up and I don't have a phone to support it.

I am really hoping for a 4g pro 2 to come out in the next six months. Im just afraid that the lack of known audience for the droid pro will mean know droid pro 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones