• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid won't connect to Win7 64bit via USB

Well after uninstalling the drivers a few times, then installing motorola's software 2.4.2 and shutting down last night. This morning it seems to have worked. I'll post back if it acts funny. I also installed blackdroids 4.0 rom last night, and boy is it faster than droidmod was.
Anyway it wasn't working last night on droidmod, but this morning it is.

Upvote 0
ok so on a brand new fresh install, i connected the phone, nothing

installed motorola's software 2.4.2 software, rebooted, nothing

then rebooted again, connected the phone, nothing
UNTIL i put it in debugging mode, then it installed all the correct drivers and all works fine now./

Yep, I am having the same issue. Mine was working fine and then I went to the Moto website to install the latest driver. Now it only charges and connects via USB when debugging mode is enabled. As soon as I switch debugging off, it loses the USB connection and charging stops. I am using DroidMod ROM if that helps.

Question - is it any big deal to leave debugging as enabled all of the time?

Upvote 0
Hmm.. I don't recall ever installing any drivers on my windows 7 to get my phone to just charge. Whatever it needed for that, it must have already had. The only drivers I did end up installing though were the ones posted in the rooting guide at rootyourdroid.info. But I have noticed lately that altho it will charge when hooked up, I have issues with it unmounting by itself after a bit. Makes it real annoying trying to transfer large files.

Upvote 0
I too have been problems syncing my Droid to my Windows 7 64 bit machine. If you look over the net there are lots of threads talking about the same thing.

At first I was able to sync no problem but then one day I could no longer reliably sync any more. The only way I can do it is to uninstall the USB mas storage devices also. The problem comes back again though.

Upvote 0
I'm having this same issue as OP now too. I've had my Droid mounting/charging perfectly (without debugging enabled) on my XP, Vista (32-bit) and Win7 RC (64-bit) PCs. But it seems to not want to install the USB drivers correctly on my 64-bit Vista and Win7 64-bit (Ultimate retail) PCs. In the device manager it just appears as "USB Composite Device" in Universal Serial Bus controllers section with an explanation mark on it ("This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error message). This is my 2nd fresh install of Win7 (I just got a nice SSD to put it on) and still have the same issue.

Only when I enable "USB debugging" on my Droid will it install all my drivers perfectly, allow me to mount my phone and charge my phone. I guess I can live with the slightly annoying "!" in my notification bar while it's charging (since debugging is enabled), but I shouldn't have to do it this way.

Let us know if you find a solution, OP, or anyone else for that matter.

I'm running Pete's BB 0.7.6 right now, btw. I've tried Chevys SS 2.0.0 (2.1 ESE53 release) but was too lazy to reconfigure everything so I restored my old backup.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I see this thread stopped in March, but I'd like to say that I am having the same problem here with Win7x64 Home Premium and an Ally, and I have not modified the Ally's rom. It is stock. The Ally connects beautifully with the very same cable to my WinXP notebook. But the Win7 PC will not even recognize it. I just get the "device drivers did not install correctly" error.

Did anyone ever find out the cause and fix it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones