• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X designed to brick itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to have lost you somewhere in the conversation. I don't recall ever comparing the DroidX features to the Incredible or any other phone. We are trying to have a conversation about the anti-root tactics used on a device that was released today.

If you would like to contribute to the conversation, rather than supply personal insults, that would be great.

Yea ok bud. I think its pretty clear but anyhow i'll play along. There isn't a damn device that can't be hacked, and we have good reason to believe this will be also. If you are heavily into rooting/flashing custom ROM's (which the overwhelming majority of phone owners are not) then by all means pass on it. But I can tell you from experience that if someone is determined enough they will undoubtedly crack the Droid X (Birdman is already claiming to have an in), its just a matter of time. Can you contribute anything to the rooting of this device, or are you just going to sit there continue to cry about the challenge that is presented?

Upvote 0
Before you start planning on rooting your new Droid X you should read this.

Someone going by the name 'p3droid' commenting on the My Droid World forums has written a detailed piece saying that rooting (jailbreaking) the Droid X may be extremely difficult. Motorola has reportedly included an eFuse chip in the Droid. The chip is designed to verify that several pieces of the Droid X software including the device firmware, software kernel and bootloader version are intact before starting up the device. If the eFuse chip doesn't find the right information: BOOM! Enjoy your new 5.4-ounce paperweight, because you won't be able to do much else with it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201207/droid_x_a_complete_launch_day_guide.html?tk=hp_new

dont shoot the messenger.:eek:

Upvote 0
the first droid has an efuse

it got rooted and so will the droid x

LOL, so having it in place means automatically that it was enabled?? When Moto clearly said they didn't encrypt the Droid for business reasons. So not sure your assumption is accurate, so go ahead and try it. LOL

I agree though, it will be rooted, but just not this year.

Upvote 0
Before you start planning on rooting your new Droid X you should read this.

Someone going by the name 'p3droid' commenting on the My Droid World forums has written a detailed piece saying that rooting (jailbreaking) the Droid X may be extremely difficult. Motorola has reportedly included an eFuse chip in the Droid. The chip is designed to verify that several pieces of the Droid X software including the device firmware, software kernel and bootloader version are intact before starting up the device. If the eFuse chip doesn't find the right information: BOOM! Enjoy your new 5.4-ounce paperweight, because you won't be able to do much else with it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201207/droid_x_a_complete_launch_day_guide.html?tk=hp_new

dont shoot the messenger.:eek:

The messenger shoulda searched. There is already a thread discussing this. :eek:

Reactions: Gamble
Upvote 0
This was originally in the Incredible forum. So do your homework before you start bashing.

No reason to go there, if it was moved from there then my mistake. I thought it was started here.

It's a major problem that people were curious about. Take it for what it is.
It is not a major problem until it is found out for certain, which will take weeks to see if it can/can't be flashed. Even if it turns out that it can't be flashed, it appears that it can be rooted.

The fact of the matter is Motorola messed up big time and the OP was just trying to educate people.

Don't get all mad at us because you already have problems with your phone. It's not our fault. If anything you should be pissed at Motorola.

Don't hate the messenger.
How did "Motorola mess up big time"? We won't know until more research is done, you never know when someone could suddenly find a way to crack the encryption.

Problems with my phone? No problems here buddy, it's working beautifully. Don't worry, at the pace that Android phones are being released, the X will be a thing of the past by Christmas time. Then we can join up and find reasons to dislike the "flavor of the month" phones by then. :cool:

Upvote 0
VERY interesting.

“We understand there is a community of developers interested in going beyond Android application development and experimenting with Android system development and re-flashing phones. For these developers, we highly recommend obtaining either a Google ADP1 developer phone or a Nexus One, both of which are intended for these purposes. At this time, Motorola Android-based handsets are intended for use by consumers and Android application developers, and we have currently chosen not to go into the business of providing fully unlocked developer phones.
…Securing the software on our handsets, thereby preventing a non-Motorola ROM image from being loaded, has been our common practice for many years. This practice is driven by a number of different business factors. When we do deviate from our normal practice, such as we did with the DROID, there is a specific business reason for doing so. We understand this can result in some confusion, and apologize for any frustration. ”

Custom ROMs and Motorola's Android Handsets - MOTODEV Discussion Boards

Upvote 0
i wasn't trying to start anything when i posted this in the incredible forum. i was just putting the information out there for the people who haven't received their incredible, and were thinking of getting the droid x instead.

i love motorola phones. had a razr(got into phone changing with it editing the seams and whatnot), wife has the original droid. great phones. hell the droid started the hacking hardcore in earnest. hell i rock the drooooid sound on my dinc. this was just put there for information. i know its been covered and updated since i originally posted. like i said i am not trying to bash the phone. they are basically the same thing with one having a bigger screen and sense vs blur.

lets quit hating on each other and start hating on the iphone people if anything. sorry to stir up resentment in the droid community.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Thats the best post I seen in awhile....

Like when the Inc was waiting.....and waiting......and waiting.....for root. I said keep hope alive then, even tho I like Motorola phones better and dont even own an HTC phone.

When the first root tutorial was attempted for the Inc, I was in threads with Inc owners wishing I had an Inc to try it out in one forum I frequent.

So much hating goes on in the Android universe....lol

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones