• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X vs Droid 2

Sorry if it's been mentioned but it doesn't appear that Droid 2 will have 720p video recording.

The incredible didn't either at launch but they are supposedly upgrading it to that resolution. Odds are the DX is the same internals as the dx but with a keyboard, so odds are they'll end up with that as well.

(Just guessing)

But in this multimedia age, I think the size of the DX is perfect. any larger and it would be unweildy, any smaller, and its just too hard to see. Even on the dx, picking small web link buttons in the browser can be touchy, uless you zoom in a lot.

Upvote 0
I THINK I decided to stay with the X, but I wanted to hear some input on my reasonings. I will make it quick ha.

The only reason I like the Droid X over the Droid 2 is because of the screen size and the camera, and the only reason I want the Droid 2 is because of games and text messaging (Makes me sounds like a teenager). Would the hardware keyboard make THAT much of a difference for games? I mainly want to play old NES and SNES games on it.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
I was gonna mention the Wiimote app..I still havent tried it yet. If gaming with the onscreen keys isnt a problem, I would say the X.

The 2 does have that advantage of the game pad accessory I know someone will make for the 2. Since the 2 doesnt have a D Pad the one for the Droid might not work too good.

Upvote 0
I liked my orig droid and liked the keyboard and when i was thinking about the DX I didnt know how well the keyboard would be. The keyboard on the DX surprised me its really good and pretty accurate. I text alot and do play some games every now and then but have never once wished I had a physical keyboard. I would goto the store and play around with bopth phones to see which one you like better.

Upvote 0
The hardware keyboard is better for games than the on screen keyboard but it is still not good. The best solution no matter what android phone you have is wiimote. Use a wii controller to play your emulator games using a bluetooth connection, it works awesome.

Wiimote controller - Android app on AppBrain

As for text messaging, the onscreen keyboard is better. You have your choice of a regular keyboard, swype, or voice input. Plus the large screen makes typing on the virtual keyboard super easy.

Upvote 0
I THINK I decided to stay with the X, but I wanted to hear some input on my reasonings. I will make it quick ha.

The only reason I like the Droid X over the Droid 2 is because of the screen size and the camera, and the only reason I want the Droid 2 is because of games and text messaging (Makes me sounds like a teenager). Would the hardware keyboard make THAT much of a difference for games? I mainly want to play old NES and SNES games on it.

Thank you!

for emulator gaming hands down the DX, ESPECIALLY when using a bluetooth controller like the wiimote, and when we finally get the hdmi unlocked, nes/snes wiimote on a 46" big screen running off the dx, how cool is that.

Upvote 0
The incredible didn't either at launch but they are supposedly upgrading it to that resolution. Odds are the DX is the same internals as the dx but with a keyboard, so odds are they'll end up with that as well.

(Just guessing)

But in this multimedia age, I think the size of the DX is perfect. any larger and it would be unweildy, any smaller, and its just too hard to see. Even on the dx, picking small web link buttons in the browser can be touchy, uless you zoom in a lot.

Considering 720p is becoming a standard spec and the Droid 2 is shipping with Android 2.2 and Flash 10.1, I don't see it being added at a later date. Wouldn't make sense why it would ship with all the latest software but no software for 720p video?

Possible but I doubt it.

Upvote 0
The benchmarks I saw the D2 was outerforming the dx by about 30% faster running 2.2, vs the DX running 2.1

Why wouldn't they ship with 720p enabled? Same reason they shipped the incredible without 720p enabled, and why they shipped the dx with mon audio recording on the camcorder, (which becomes stereo recording with our froyo update).

In software developement, they have what are called "showstoppers". Thats something that delays a target release date. Typically marketing in any company will have something released with minor fixable issues (like this), and then fix it once they complete their release date.

You see that a LOT in software developement, and since the Dx is more a small computer then a phone, we are seeing it here as well.

Long as the fix it in a reasonable period of time, I'm placated.

Upvote 0
I had the Droid X and traded it for the Droid 2. What a foolish foolish mistake. I am desperately looking around town for a Droid X. My Droid 2 isn't any faster than the Droid X I had. Web browsing isn't as easy. On the Droid X, I rarely had to zoom in...the display was so large, everything was usually legible when the page loaded up. With the Droid 2, I frequently have to zoom in.

The keyboard on the Droid 2 is definitely fantastic. A definite vast improvement over the piece of junk that was the Droid 1 keyboard. But I really miss the display and camera of the Droid X. When I was playing with both phones the day I switched, I didn't realize that I would miss it this much...but I really do.

I am not sure if or when Motorola has plans to update the Droid 2 with a HD camera. I really hope they do...and soon.

Upvote 0
I had the Droid X and traded it for the Droid 2. What a foolish foolish mistake. I am desperately looking around town for a Droid X. My Droid 2 isn't any faster than the Droid X I had. Web browsing isn't as easy. On the Droid X, I rarely had to zoom in...the display was so large, everything was usually legible when the page loaded up. With the Droid 2, I frequently have to zoom in.

The keyboard on the Droid 2 is definitely fantastic. A definite vast improvement over the piece of junk that was the Droid 1 keyboard. But I really miss the display and camera of the Droid X. When I was playing with both phones the day I switched, I didn't realize that I would miss it this much...but I really do.

I am not sure if or when Motorola has plans to update the Droid 2 with a HD camera. I really hope they do...and soon.

That sucks. Everyone in the DX forum could've told you that. At least you can return the D2 and still get a DX.

Upvote 0
^^
Maybe they still have your old one...swap it no questions asked if they do?
I bought my old one from Walmart. I returned it to Walmart and got a full refund. Then I went to Best Buy and got the Droid 2. I called the Best Buy and they said I can do a hardware swap since it is within 30 days.

I hope I can keep my same number because I love my new number. It is very easy to remember.

Upvote 0
The choice has always been clear. Bigger screen vs keyboard. Larger size vs smaller size. Pick what you like best.
Agreed. Another difference is that we ordered a Droid 2 and a Droid X at the same time when the Droid 2 was launched, the Droid 2 was here the next day while we're waiting for the Droid X. With the Incredible and Droid X backorders I can see the availability potentially affecting a good number of customers wanting to get a phone while they're at the store or shipped the next day. And that may be exactly what VZW wanted, a Droid smartphone they could have in stock and that can support Android for some time (like maybe up to when LTE phones are released).

I also think the D2 color choices are terrible. Fake silver and navy blue. yuk
Have you actually seen a Droid 2? I was also concerned based on some of the pictures I had seen posted before release but the phone actually looks much better in person than I expected. The silver appears much more a dark grey and the blue is very dark. Not bad looking at all. However, the R2-D2 special edition Droid 2 coming out next month, well let's just say that I'm sure a few people will wait for it based on the appearance.

Upvote 0
Yea, I plan on doing that tomorrow. By some miracle, the Best Buy near me has a few Droid Xs. I am going to go tomorrow and swap phones since I bought my Droid 2 from a Best Buy.

Best Buy is pretty good at returns. Hopefully the next time you post in this thread, you'll have a DX in your hands. I hope you don't get dinged with a restocking fee though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones