• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help E-mail problems - Going back to BBery :(

dcstang

Lurker
Jul 20, 2010
Coming from a Blackberry storm (1) I was real excited to get my Droid X today. The phone works great except for 2 issues:
1. switching from port to land doesn't always work, and I have to shake the phone to get it to switch. Kinda annoying.
2. The e-mail programs are not as good as the standard Bberry. Yes, I do realize that Blackberry is the BEST for this, however; I just need it to do 2 things...

Let me explain how I have it setup first before I explain (I did search on this but not too many other threads regarding this). I have my work e-mail forwarding to GMail so I can get "push" to the phone. On the phone, I need it to push e-mail fast to the phone from my work e-mail, as well as I need to reply to customers, employees, etc. from my work e-mail address. This was no problem at all with Blackberry service, as well as GMail on my laptop, however; I cannot find a program to do this at all.

I don't want to setup two accounts, and always have to choose, I'd like to set it up so that I receive my work e-mail through gmail (for push reasons) and reply back as my work e-mail address.

I really do need to get e-mails fast, otherwise I'd just setup my work e-mail on here and be done, but I really need push (e-mails within 1 minute are acceptable but longer than that just sucks). Any advice on this? I've only had the phone for a half a day but if this can't work correctly there's no reason to have this phone at all.

Thanks in advance.

I had major problems with my work email at first. I was so used to the email from my BB but that's a whole different thing. IMO can't beat BB when it comes to work email.

I just require to have a separate address for my work email, fast notification and it's not necessary to respond thru my work email address.

I have my work email set up and it is acceptable to me. I had to go thru Verizon and was then transferred to Motorola. Verizon wanted to work on being able to send thru my work address, but I didn't follow thru cause I don't need it.

So maybe you will need to go thru Verizon and Motorola like I did.
Just sharing my experience.

Upvote 0
Have you tried using the "email" client vs the google/gmail client?

Also, you can download K-9 free in the market and it provides push email as well. It's worth a shot. :cool:

ETA: I was a BB user as well, so I know what a great email client they have. It was one of my biggest worries about leaving BB at all. My worries went out the window with the Moto Droid. :)

Upvote 0
I really do need to get e-mails fast, otherwise I'd just setup my work e-mail on here and be done, but I really need push (e-mails within 1 minute are acceptable but longer than that just sucks). Any advice on this? I've only had the phone for a half a day but if this can't work correctly there's no reason to have this phone at all.

Thanks in advance.

Don't return it! You just don't have it set up properly. My phone gets both my gmail AND my microsoft exchange e-mail before my computer even does!! In fact, I hear my phone beep and so then I open up my mail program and wait for the mail to show up.

Use the "Messaing app" for all of your mail. Do not use the gmail app, in my opinion it sucks. Add your exchange and whatever else, and in settings you can set the data to push. Voila, instant e-mail!! Let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
Don't return it! You just don't have it set up properly. My phone gets both my gmail AND my microsoft exchange e-mail before my computer even does!! In fact, I hear my phone beep and so then I open up my mail program and wait for the mail to show up.

Use the "Messaing app" for all of your mail. Do not use the gmail app, in my opinion it sucks. Add your exchange and whatever else, and in settings you can set the data to push. Voila, instant e-mail!! Let me know if you have any questions.

I do the same and also get my notifcation and my emails on my phone before I see them on my computer.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. I finally got it to work (had to enter in the settings 5 times at work today and it finally took on gmail's website), but I still don't receive all of my e-mail through the "G-mail" app. Most come through but some don't. I had K9 on there before but didn't give it a long shot. I'll try K9 again.

K9 does do push by itself or do I have to enable anything?

By the way, phone is great, real fast, and the browser is real nice. BB can't compare to the browser at all. It did do an update earlier today, then an hour or so later I noticed my phone was sitting on the "droid eye" and I couldn't do anything, so I figured it was doing another update and perhaps I hit it in my pocket. It sat like that for over 45 minutes, did a battery pull and everything's all good. Anyone else experience this?

Also, I had wifi enabled for almost the whole day, just to see how good the battery life is, and it just died 10 minutes ago. A full 12 hrs with it on. I'm pretty happy. I won't use wifi too often, so I'm sure I'll get more out of this battery (plus it's been 2 days and I hear it takes a few days/cycles to get it going to its potential.

Thanks again everyone. I do like the phone. Just need to get froyo, then root so I can do the whole movie thing on the tv.

Upvote 0
In order to use K9 with gMail, you have to turn IMAP on in GMail on your PC. To do so, go to the gMail web page, then click on Settings, then Fowarding and POP/IMAP then Enable IMAP, then Save Changes.

Make sure you assign the correct folder mapping in the Incoming Server settings in K9 (be sure to scroll all the way down that very long settings screen).

K9 is so great to use for gMail, as you can get to attachments, unlike the stock gMail app.

If you have any questions, you know where to find me.

jd

Upvote 0
@dcstang: Give maildroid a try, like K-9 it handles push email very well. I moved over to the DX from blackberry so I really wanted/needed the email on my X to work like my old BB. I've been using maildroid for almost 3 weeks and I'm liking it. It's in beta so there is some work yet to be done to get this app where it needs to be.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones